What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Different Hamata Clones - your experience & pics

Thagirion

Budgies are best
I know there are a few different N. hamata clones out there. Which ones do you have and have you found some to be easier than others? Surely some must be full size by now. Any variation in pitchers? Have seen pics of all green pitchers lately which I'm not too impressed with. I know there are clones 1-4 but I think some new AW ones have also recently come up. Would like to see pics of the different ones. Have males or females been determined for sure on any of them? I've heard rumored all are males but can this be confirmed or denied?

Out of the three clones I've possessed (AW clone 2, SG from G. Lumut, and BE TC) the BE clone was much, MUCH faster than any of the other clones I've ever grown, but then again I did grow them in household temps so I'm sure other growers have different experiences than myself.

Thag, I just ordered an AW clone 1 yesterday, and only chose it because I saw a picture of one that had grown quite quickly. Other than that, I've read that all the clones look the same, but Andreas still keeps them separate for the purpose of genetic variability.

I've heard rumored all are males but can this be confirmed or denied?

So far as I know, all of the clones (both Wistuba and Borneo Exotics) are exclusively male -- due, in part, to the fact that males are far more prevalent in the wild. So far, I have seen four flowering plants (each apparently different clones) from Germany and heard of two from Borneo -- all male. I have heard of various ratios of 60:40 and 70:30 in their favor and it may be -- according to a few researchers -- species specific . . .

Yes, I'm pretty sure all the TC plants are male, but now SG hamatas are starting to become more common so I'm sure there are female plants out there, just not in TC.

mikefallen13: This is good to know. I think it's great you were able to acclimate them as house plants.

mato77429: I've heard good things about Clone 1. I have seen some pics of it and it is beautiful.

BigBella: I've read about this as well for most nepenthes. It's too bad the females are so scarce. Back when I was breeding cockatiels my ratios were like this for more males too.

I picked up a tiny AW clone 4 about a month ago and it's growing much faster than expected. It's inflating one new pitcher and just starting 2 others.

Gotta get a hamata, bit expensive since I have no Nep growing experience. But someday!

I got an AW clone 2 I believe. It grew fast at first, then mysteriously slowed growth and pouted. Overall the pitchers it made never impressed me much.

I am much more satisfied with my seed-grown specimen.

Back