What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rajah repotting&snail attack

hi all

In the last year something bad going over my plants,i had a snail attack on my collection and it seem that i cant get rid of them .I always find new small snails in my media.tried few things but nothing helps.I lost alot of plants due 2 root rot ( aristo ,inermis,jacquelinae...)all were flowering size :(
Seems i need 2 repott all of my collection and get rid of the media(field with snails eggs).
also my rajah need repotting thats a big plant around 120 cm and tell you the truth i am scared 2 death that i am going 2 kill it after all this time.the old media mixis perlite/cocohusk/rockwool.
So any tips about my 2 problems
1.snails
2.rajah repotting-which mix do u recommend me 2 use

Cheers,

Adi

Are you growing indoors or outdoors and do you think they are coming from the media or just climbing the pots into the media?

No reason to be scared of killing the rajah, Neps take repotting quite well. I'd say repot, throw all the media way, spray everything down with fungicide/pesticide, and essentially start fresh. At flowering size, the plants you listed are extremely heavy losses IMO, and there's no reason to wait before things get worse.

Are you growing indoors or outdoors and do you think they are coming from the media or just climbing the pots into the media?

I grow my highlanders in large terrarium and lowlanders outside.i am rebuilding my setup as the rajah got way 2 big for my setup so currently all my plants are outside .thats why all look like crap
old pic of my setup
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127951

the snails come from my media probably few snails setteld in one of the pots that i had outside and latter moved them 2 the terrarium since then they seem 2 spread all over my highlanders.

Adi

Always a good idea to post your location when asking for help as answers may differ depending ... ???

I have noticed a small species of snail outside during summer (& occasionally inside) but it doesn't appear to cause any harm. I have lifted up pots & found hundreds of them (they are less than 1/8" or so). Otoh, your species may be much nastier than mine ...

Deteriorating media has caused problems for many growers & may be the cause of yours. Another common issue is a grower not noticing a pest (like scale or mealies) which can multiply rapidly & decimate plants.

Always a good idea to post your location when asking for help as answers may differ depending ... ???

I have noticed a small species of snail outside during summer (& occasionally inside) but it doesn't appear to cause any harm. I have lifted up pots & found hundreds of them (they are less than 1/8" or so).

Deteriorating media has caused problems for many growers & may be the cause of yours. Another common issue is a grower not noticing a pest (like scale or mealies) which can multiply rapidly & decimate plants.

I am from Israel,the snails problem will be solved i belive after repotting,going 2 treat the plants also with confidor for any other pests that remain after repotting.

which media do u recommend for

1.macrophylla- got 2 plants around 10 cm
2.villosa -around 15 cm plant
3.rajah 120 cm vine around 50 cm (the basterd dont want 2 flower-hopefully it will be a female so i can cross it with my hamata
4.hamata around 1 m vine

If you want an economical approach, try boiling your medium. That's what I do when I get pest attacks in my medium. Boiling kills the pests and it saves me money that I would have shelled out if I decided to replace my medium.

adelevi - wow just took a look at your plants. That is truly tragic about the N. aristolochioides. . . :(

I've never had an issue with snails. But as others have recommended, I suggest you repot them all with completely fresh media, wipe down your terrarium thoroughly, and depending on how infested your plants are you might need to spray with some sort of toxin. You don't want to lose any more of those gorgeous plants though! :0o:

you could put your medium in the microwave to sterilise

The best thing to do would be to repot them, spray everything down (exept the plants) with fungiscide stuff, and bomb the area with CO2( dry ice) incase there were any larvae that weren't affected.

Back