What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

net pots

C

cps4lif

I am about to repot some of my plants that have outgrown the 3 inch pots they originally came in. I have quite a few larger net pots I was considering repotting them into to increase drainage and aeration. Does anybody do this? If so could you share with me a good soil mix that you use in this type of application? Could you include helpful tips (if any)? Thank you very much in advance for your time and replies.

I'm not a nepenthes pro so take this with a grain of salt but I have a couple of nepenthes in 8 inch net pots in 100% live sphagnum moss.

I use net pots, but in 2 different ways for 2 different kinds of neps.

1. I use a chunky mix that holds moisture and can sustain a live LFS top layer. Used for HL's and UHL's. Tend to get ferns growing out the sides of the pots though. Their roots SMOTHER the neps to death.
The mix is orchid (fir) bark, dead and live LFS, perlite, lava rock, and charcoal.. with a live LFS top layer.

2. I use an extremely chunky mix that tends to dry out faster. Same ingredients, just less LFS, and no live topping. This is used for LL's and a couple intermediates, like N. northiana and veitchii/veitchii HL. All seem to love their current airy net pot.
~ N. veitchii HL is in this chunky mix with no live topper, but in cooler conditions. Just FYI..

Last edited:
I just recently acquired some mesh (net?) pots. I really like them because they allow the sphagnum to flow through the mesh and grow around the pot. This is good because developing tendrils will rest in the moss and perhaps that helps form nicer pitchers. ( Just a theory). At any rate it looks really nice, and it certainly does allow for a more airy pot-substrate situation. Aesthetically, they are great, I would highly recommend them. In function, your plants will dry out much quicker. The one plant that I have had growing in a mesh pot is probably the only plant in my terrarium that actually regularly needs to be watered. So keep that in mind. If you are using an automated misting system I wouldn't worry about it at all.

super cool guys thanks for all the info

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Hey Mass, is the charcoal you use the same as activated charcoal for an aquarium filter? What is the purpose of the charcoal and nepenthes? The mix you use for your highlanders is it equal parts of all four? I am really sorry about all the questions but I am really interested?

Hey Mass, is the charcoal you use the same as activated charcoal for an aquarium filter? What is the purpose of the charcoal and nepenthes? The mix you use for your highlanders is it equal parts of all four? I am really sorry about all the questions but I am really interested?

I did answer all of these questions in PM, right? :scratch:

I have regularly used net pots for years and generally used live sphagnum based mixes, along with orchid bark, pumice, horticultural charcoal, what-have-you. Moving them to a larger pot is always a good idea . . .

@ MASS, yes you did thanks.
@ BigBella, I am moving them from 3 inch pots to 5 and 6 inch pots. I figured the bigger the better since I want to repot as little as possible. I will be repotting them on Friday and decided to go with the orchid bark (medium), pumice, and LFS. I haven't decide yet on the horticulture charcoal because I don't have it on hand, if anybody thinks it absolutely necessary please say so and I will put off repotting and buy some. I am very unexperienced in the use of charcoal so any insight would be helpful.

I liked net pots until some of my plants started making roots outside of the pot. Also it tends to be a pain in the *** when trying to transplant them cause the roots end up wrapping all around the netting and you have to carefully cut the pot apart to save the roots. Also the media tended to dry out a lot quicker and I had to water almost everyday in the summer. I'm back to regular square pots now.

@ robthered, thats a really good point, never really consider the roots growing out of the pot.

I liked net pots until some of my plants started making roots outside of the pot. Also it tends to be a pain in the *** when trying to transplant them cause the roots end up wrapping all around the netting and you have to carefully cut the pot apart to save the roots. Also the media tended to dry out a lot quicker and I had to water almost everyday in the summer. I'm back to regular square pots now.

I never had too much of an issue with roots growing through the netting; and since I water those Nepenthes by the tray method (usually discouraged but safe with net pots), drying out has never been an issue . . .

I never had too much of an issue with roots growing through the netting; and since I water those Nepenthes by the tray method (usually discouraged but safe with net pots), drying out has never been an issue . . .

I think my plants were growing through through the pots because i had LFS as a substrate.

If I think about it more, the plants that were in net pots in the other tank that didnt have any substrate didnt grow through the pots.

So I think you're safe if you avoid having a substrate below your net pots.

Back