What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thagirion's Nepenthes

Thagirion

Budgies are best
I guess this will be my thread to post pics of my progress with my nepenthes.

N. bicalcarata Sarawak pitcher detail by Thagirion3, on Flickr

A pitcher of my N. bicalcarata red Sarawak. I wonder when it will be red? It's a young plant.

Pitcher growing by Thagirion3, on Flickr

First pitcher on my N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x merrilliana

It opened by Thagirion3, on Flickr

It finally opened. It's so cute.

New pitcher N. merrilliana 1 by Thagirion3, on Flickr

My first pitcher on my merrilliana. This is my favorite lowland plant so I'm very excited. This is an older pic. I need to get and updated one as it's opened already.
That's it for now.

N. merilliana is going to be a beast! I love lowlanders. Any other species you're not showing us?

Looking good Thagirion, love the bical.

Wireman, yeah. I first found out about merrillianas from a youtube video that showed a huge one. I was so impressed I had to have one and it's the first nepenthes I ever ordered. I hope mine will get like the one in the video. Actually yes I do have more I didn't show. I didn't want to flood the forum with a bunch of pics all at once. I like to discuss a handful of pics then I'll post more. Some of my plants aren't worth taking pics of right now anyway.

Thanks, Rob. Nice to finally see you here. Thanks for the invite.

Wish I lived someplace where I could grow a bical. I've tried too many times.. I couldn't stand to go through that kind of hurt again. :cry:

I know the feeling. There are some highlands I wish I could grow. But I do believe where there's a will there's a way.

Nice nepenthes! I love the bical!!

Thanks Mike.

Thag, your bical is not red because it's nit in strong enough light. Mine is a quarter your size and I was able to get mine red. Slowly move it up in light

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

All it needs is some strong morning or strong evening sun to color it. I protect most everything but sarrs and vft from noon time sun. And select dews.

I've got it in a tank under lights right now. The leaves are red but the pitchers are not. Perhaps I should o an updated pic. When I got it the pitchers were green and I thought perhaps they are green as a young plant. I'm waiting for the start of April before I put it outside. Day temps are great outside but night temps are still cold in the low 60's. It will be happier in the shade house. I am planning on buying better lights. I have three 4 foot shop lights with T8 bulbs, two bulbs each. They have cool blubs in them. Is this ok for indoors. I have been thinking about getting T5 fixtures and saw a place to order some, but I also read some of the older posts saying you don't need expensive stuff and these shop lights work too. It's confusing when you hear two differnet things.

bical steals the show for me,nice plants

I have three t8 2bulb fixtures with the daylight bulbs. My bical was coloring up. Might be your bulbs with just the cool white bulbs. GE makes a daylight bulb and it sells at lowes. T5 ho would be better. Just get the correct bulbs.

Thanks JB, I'll definitely do that. Are your lights 2 or 4 feet?

Here are a few more pics.

My pretty nepenthes kitchen window 1 by Thagirion3, on Flickr

My kitchen window. I enjoy working here in the mornings. Light comes in from another window behind the camera as well as the over head lights.

My pretty nepenthes kitchen window 2 by Thagirion3, on Flickr

Got a T8 plant light up there, but have ordered a T5 to add even more to this. Got mostly lowland truncatas, a khasiana and a little hybrid I forget which one. My kitchen is decorated colorful for Easter. Notice the window clings. Budgies and Cockatiels in the window.

merrilliana pitcher opened by Thagirion3, on Flickr

The merrilliana pitcher finally opened. I love it! It's got two more on the way.

N. burbidgeae pitcher by Thagirion3, on Flickr

I think this is a burbidgeae. I don't know since the person that sold this to me sold me some other CP's that have turned out to be other things. Regardless it's a cute fuzzy cylindrical pitcher.

Got an update finally.

N. burbidgeae pitchers by Thagirion3, on Flickr

My little burbidgeae. It had no pitchers when I got it so I'm happy it's got one opened finally for me and three more coming in.

Close up of my first burbidgeae pitcher by Thagirion3, on Flickr

Close up of a small pitcher.

N. merrilliana pot by Thagirion3, on Flickr

One of my merrilliana plants. I love how it has pitchers almost all the way around the pot.

Latest merrilliana pitcher close by Thagirion3, on Flickr

Next one about to open. I'm rather surprised by the angular buldge. I hope they'll eventually come in in the typical jelly bean shape I've seen in photos that I love so much.

Yet another merrilliana pitcher by Thagirion3, on Flickr

My other one. I find these grow very fast. Had two pitchers when I bought it but they died right away. Merrilliana pitchres don't ship well. The leaves are fine but the pitchers always die. So this is the first pitcher in my care.

Yet another merrilliana pitcher close up by Thagirion3, on Flickr

And a close up.

N. reindwartiana red? 1 by Thagirion3, on Flickr

This one was sold to me as red reindwartiana. But it doesn't look like it to me. I still like it though, whatever it is.
That's all for now. I don't have anything else interesting going at the moment.

looking good. I bet they'll look fantastic as they mature.

Um... I think that burbie is actually a burbXeddie...

Thanks potted plants. Yeah I can't wait for them to get enormous.

Thez yo, really? Oh no, darn it. Sigh, that's annoying because that means all the plants I bought from this person are not what they were sold to me as. And I'm still enough of a beginner to not know the difference especially on younger plants. Great, I try to avoide hybrids and end up with them. :thumbdown:

Yeah definitely N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana. The same thing happened to me. BUt that doesn't necessarily mean that the other plants you got were mislabeled. That particular cross was being mislabeled as bubridgeae for some reason for quite some time.

At least look at it this way, that hybrid has been sold for 80+ dollars in the past... I wasn't all that bummed to buy mine for 10 bucks. Plus it is a really awesome hybrid. ???

Yeah, I compared the pics of young pitchers on CP photo find and it's obvious it's this hybrid. I got mine for $8 as it was on sale. So yeah if it was going for $80 when properly labled that's good. It's a healthy plant but I thought I was talking good care of a burb. Now I need to add that to my want list and start looking again. I try to only have species but some hybrids have found their way into my collection like this. I'm still slightly disapointed. All the plants I bought are healthy and nice just not what I thought they were. Now I need to go rename all my flicker pics. I hope it will be nice when it gets big.

He he a species snob like me. The thing is it is different with neps than orchids. Seems the hybrids are harder to come by and in mire demand so they cost more. I find many species to be cheaper.

Awesome plants Des.

Back