What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rash on singalana Tujuh

mato

BANNED
Hey guys,

I've been ignoring this problem for a while now, but since it seems to have spread, I figured I'd try to get some help identifying it. Just like the title says, my singalana Tujuh has developed a strange rash, which began at the stem, and has since spread to the leaves. I'm quite nervous about it, because I have it in my rack, growing quite closely together with some rare and expensive species. Quarantine time?

Anyway, I haven't been able to find anything quite like it on google, so I thought I'd ask.

IMG_4430.jpg

IMG_4429.jpg

IMG_4428.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4425.jpg

looks like a case of Cercospora fungi.
Here is a excerpt I stumbled across a while back..
"Cercospora shows up as reddish or purplish blotches on the leaf blade of
the plants. It does not generally show up on the pitcher or stem. It may be
mild and barely noticeable or in some cases so bad that it is fatal if left
untreated. Some plants are affected more than others. Hairy species like N.
stenophylla and veitchii seem readily attacked, but so do burbidgea, rajah,
bellii, and truncata. Fortunately this is easily treatable. There is a
systemic fungicide, Clearies 3336 Flowable, that will kill the fungus, and it
has so far proven to be harmless to all CP, orchids, aroids, and even
sphagnum at recommended doses. It is available through V.J. Grower's Supply,
Apopka, FL (407) 886-5555. As with any new batch of chemicals try a 2 X or
4 X test on a plant you can spare like an N. alata. So far I have found no
problems with the fungicide. One the fungi is eliminated you can often see a
dramatic jump in the leaf size of the plant, sometimes twice as large as
before, showing what damage and loss of vigor is caused to the plant. This
is not a once for all cure however, the fungus can re-infect your plants in
the future. "

Also for good measure...look along the leaf midrib and check for signs of scale. I see the tell tale red dot's lined up on the smaller, older leaf underneath the newest, fully formed leaf.

Good luck with your diagnosis!

I would have said it was rust fungus...but no matter, treatment for that is exactly the same...I use Captan, but Cleary's is much better if you can get it.

I sprayed it with a simple sulfur-based fungicide a while back, but it clearly didn't halt it. Are Cleary's and Captan both systemics? I may run to the store and buy some right now if it'll help.

Cleary's is a systemic. Rather expensive too.

Wonder what impact this would have on trich.

Wonder what impact this would have on trich.

Hm.. haven't thought about that, Z. Maybe I should do a little trich watering.

Got your email and decided to post here since others may be interested as well. Some plants are prone to leafspot/rust pathogens so knowing how to control it is a good thing. I would concur some sort of pathogen, rust or leaf spot. Once it gets into the leaf it does require a system fungicide. Captan or other topical fungicides may stop new infections. Good systemic fungicide that's available at most garden centers, hardware stores..Cleary's is good if you have access to it.
Ortho max garden disease control. It may kill the sphagnum though.

Ah, just missed your post before I placed the order. I suppose I could have just run out and bought the Ortho.

Oh well, I just ordered a quart of the Cleary 3336F from Amazon. Talk about expensive.. but it should last me a few years.

I googled trich as a treatment for the Cercospora and found a few papers that suggested it worked at combating it so has some potential value as a pre-emptive treatment, however, I haven't read enough to see if it actually helps treat after a plant is infected. Be good to see what success you have with this if you go that route.

Back to google I go for a bit more research :)

I was going to suggest rust, glad we figured out what it might be. And glad you're getting something to fix it. Hope your plant survives, and makes a recovery.

What about Bayer Advanced Disease Control or Daconil? I think these are available in Lowes and Home Depot and are much cheaper. I have this problem on one of my plants and now I'm worried. Are these comprable to the Ortho suggested by Tony?

I went ahead an bought the Bayer Advanced Disease Control. I figured it was the same thing and listed rust as one of the things it tackles.

Would do light testing with it and use it in low concentrations on plants you would be 'ok' with taking a nose dive before going full blown with it on all your plants. While it might state it will combat the same diseases and what not, the active ingredients may be vastly different (in this case I believe they are) and unless you confirm those AI to be safe for your plants first, things may take a turn for the worse. Not all pesticides/fungicides are equal, especially as it relates to CPs; I try to avoid them at all cost cause I'm overly paranoid and cautious. Hopefully, someone has tried the specific brands/AI you are looking at using and can help advise you on its affects. Good luck.

update:
Did some quick searching and thought the following might be helpful:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Carnivorous-Plants-711/2010/3/Nepenthes-Ventricosa-brown-spots.htm
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127077

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. It was Jacob that suggested the Bayer which is why I picked it up.

Back