What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. spathulata x (lowii x ventricosa)

Received this plant as a cutting last summer, but because of a nation wide postal strike, the stem was black and rotting when i finally received it.

I had to detach the green growth from it's blackened main stem to try to get it to root again.

This is the first pitcher i've seen on this plant.

IMG_2362-N-spathulataxxlowiixventricosa.jpg

IMG_2366-N-spathulataxxlowiixventricosa.jpg

dvg

Thats very impressive.

Nice peristome!

wow. Great potential..

Wow those always look so good :drool: I've thought about getting one but just don't have the room.

I remember that. Quite annoying as I was ordering other things from Canada at the time. Lovely pitcher. It's great you were able to save it.

Looks like your patience really paid off!

Does the peristome stay like that or does it fold back more?

If you look on photofinder you can see that this cross folds back just a little bit more, but still has plenty of flare. I imagine dvg's plant will do a little more folding back and the lid will flattening out slightly, but not by much.

Awesome!!! Great save!!!

Thanks. :)

Wow those always look so good :drool: I've thought about getting one but just don't have the room.

That's always the hard part...finding a way to fit as many lovely plants as humanly possible into our all too finite spaces.

I remember that. Quite annoying as I was ordering other things from Canada at the time. Lovely pitcher. It's great you were able to save it.

I wasn't sure this plant was going to make it.

After i severed it from the main stem, the base of it still had some black rot on it and i had to cut that off a few months later and start all over again, because it still wasn't rooting and the rot was travelling up the new stem.

In the meantime it was making smaller and smaller leaves and even sent up a stress flower that i cut off.

Right now the plant is about 5" across and making much larger leaves, and though it still is not as large as the original cutting i received, it is making some nice progress.

Just curious, but where were you ordering from in Canada?

dvg

Last edited:
That's great it pulled through. Show's it must be a resilient little plant.

I don't remember. It was on Ebay I think some books or something. Ebay would send a little disclaimer saying to not leave negative feed back if someone was in Canada and things ran late.

Glad you were able to save it. It would have been a shame to lose such a nice plant!

Newest pitcher to open

IMG_0110-N-spathulata-xx-lowii-x-ventricosa-August-13-2012.jpg

IMG_0118-N-spathulata-xx-lowii-x-ventricosa-August-13-2012.jpg

dvg

Back