What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a truncata seedling

Thagirion

Budgies are best
I started some seeds back in Jan and Feb. I had them planted in containers like this.

Nepenthes Seed growing. Advice Please by Thagirion3, on Flickr

I wasn't sure if these were good to use. I liked the tupperwares because they have clear lids and vent holes. And I thought the cubes would be good because they are clear, let in lots of light and can be stacked.

I was thinking nothing was going to happen and I opened one of the tupperwares today and found this.

N. truncata seed sprout by Thagirion3, on Flickr

A sprout. I'm thrilled. Now I had some albomarginata sprouts last year. About five, but they all died and never made any secondary growth for me. Sucks to have a success then have it taken from you. So what do I do with these now? They're still in those tubs covered up under grow lights.

I see at least 2 seedlings in that pic. Get the majority to germinate and then slowly acclimatize to normal growing conditions. I am guessing that high humidity, although it does promote germination, it may also promote conditions where fungal diseases start going nuts....

Yeah there's a second one. How would you recommend I sprout then? I don't want my next batch I try to get contaminated. That's for sure. How long should I wait for the others if they even sprout at all? Then I guess just pull the lid back a little everyday huh? Thanks for the help.

I had mine in a plastic bag so . slowly opened it up a little bit every day. I guess the bag method for TC neps or newly transplanted helis, cut off a corner and make holes in bag bigger over time. then into an area where I could mist in the morning before work. But I know jack about growing neps so get a second opinion ...

Congratulations Des! I also have some truncata seedlings that recently germinated. Good luck with the rest of your seed!

Thanks. I'm thrilled and worried all at the same time. That's great you have some too. Thanks, though I think I may give up on the others soon. They seem to have been too old.

Dont give up on them. I've had maximas popping up randomly for 2 or 3 weeks:D.

Good luck! I had some, but they have almost all died out...it would appear that they need a very acid PH to survive long term...

Good luck! I had some, but they have almost all died out...it would appear that they need a very acid PH to survive long term...

Thats horrible. If mine survive i'll send you a couple when theyre big enough;).

I have about ten right now..same seed source as Exo's, I think. they all have cute little pitchers. they are out of the plastic bag stage and are in a mini greenhouse inside of the enclosed grow rack but still all together in their little nursery tub they were started in.

Exo, how high? Like wash with vinigar? Hehe. I've never heard that before.

Thanks mass. Don't cheer just yet. I'll cheer once they make it to a safe size. Right now I'm in that "What do I do now?" Stage because I hadn't thought I'd get this far.

Chibae, that's awesome. Were they hard to get to that stage? What did you do after this part? I've still got them covered waiting for the others (if any) to sprout.

I germinated on a peat/sand mixture with a thin layer of chopped sphag. No high acid amendments or snake oils used. The seeds were in a small container with an open top and the whole thing slipped inside a baggie. As they grew I gradually kept the baggie more and more open. Once they started to form pitchers I moved them to my mini-greenhouse within the enclosed grow rack (without the baggie). The humidity in there stays much higher than the surronding air. Not sure when I'll move them out of that.

Exo, how high? Like wash with vinigar? Hehe. I've never heard that before.

Thanks mass. Don't cheer just yet. I'll cheer once they make it to a safe size. Right now I'm in that "What do I do now?" Stage because I hadn't thought I'd get this far.

Chibae, that's awesome. Were they hard to get to that stage? What did you do after this part? I've still got them covered waiting for the others (if any) to sprout.

Well..they do well on peat/sand or milled LFS....but I tried a commercial seed starting mix with a nearly neutral ph (balanced with lime) because I liked the texture.....bad idea.

Peat and LFS are highly acid....apparently they need that..I've had similar results using wet sand..not acid enough.

I actually might have a few truncata seedlings also.. :D

I will be getting more seeds and want to experiment. I want to try that peat and sand mixture. The bag idea sounds like a good one too as it's easier to open than sliding a lid around.

Exo, I did use milled sphagnum. That's what that is. I specifically bought a kind that was already chopped into tiny pieces so I should be good then.

That's great kulamauiman. Everyone's getting baby truncatas it seems.

454ae30f.jpg

5f2761bd.jpg

testing chopped LFS and peat sand looks like peat sand works with top dress of milled LFS. Using a mess of ventricosa seeds. Both bags were kept in zip top bag under dim lights and at room temps that were daily in the 80+F range
left sand peat right chopped LFS
776c7f3c.jpg

Congrats guys! Gives me hope for the 7+ types of seeds I have going currently!

Wow awesome. So many ventricosas. I love that species. Congrats. I'll have to definitely try that method next.

Thanks, Vbkid.

Oh btw, what ratio is the peat and sand mixed? Last year I used only peat and that didn't work at all.

So what ratio should I mix peat and sand? Also why does this work better than regular peat? I have a bag of sand I bought a while back that I found in the orchid section of Lowes. I also have some older seeds that probably aren't any good now but I figured why not give it a shot.

Back