What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher of the Month APRIL 2012!!

thez_yo

instigator
Well, I like having POTM here so I'm restarting it with rules lifted from the previous:

1. Only ONE (1) PITCHER per member may be entered in any particular month.
2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
3. All entries must be clearly identified.
4. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
5. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing on 04/30/12
6. Sequential pictures showing opening of a pitcher are fine as long as all pictures are taken within the month of the contest.
7. If, for some reason, a single pitcher cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular pitcher entered must be clearly identified in your post.
8. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo.
9. I didn't like this rule :p
10. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
11. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 05/01/12, closing 05/05/12 and using the Condorcet Internet Voting Service (Beatpath/Schulze/CSSD completion rule). The THREE (3) most popular entries (according to "proportional representation") will be considered "Winners" and the top 3 places will be posted in the 'Hall of Fame" sub-board.
** Please remember to clearly identify your entry!!**

Contest will be closed on April 30th 2012 at 5:00PM EST
Good luck!!

-->I reserve the right to drool over campanulata species and hybrid pics. Also, I will NOT be entering any plant for serious consideration in this competition for placement. If I do, please smack-talk me :awesome:

Last edited:
Pitcher of the month rules voting!

what was rule #9?

Something about if you entered it, you couldn't enter it again for the next 90 days... if you've only got one pitcher: go rock it :awesome:

edit: since the previous comment was changed, this comment is no longer relevant.

Last edited:
I don't like the rule about the 6 months prior... How about we change that to three months? :D

I'd love to enter one of these. :crap:

I wouldn't change anything.
Unless you want SK on your butt.
Or start something completely different.
Was just looking for someone to take over is all.

maybe it should be nep of the month,sarrs and heli are pitchers

This contest has been running since before most of us came here. If people can't be mature about this.. I guess I'll just keep doing it. :lac:
But I REALLY don't want to! So please, would anybody like to just "take my place"? And not make it your own, silly, short-lived creation.
SK told me to NOT change the rules for a reason.

what was rule #9?

9. Any plant(s) that have finished in the top 3 may not be reentered again for the following 90 days.

That way someone can't enter the same adult edwardsiana over and over and over to keep taking one of the top 3 spots month after month.

*hours later*
After looking over the rules on the proboards, I'm not sure where #9 ever came from. I was under the impression the rules were exactly the same on both forums. So I guess it doesn't matter to me either way.

Last edited:
Well you did step down, it's now in someone elses hands. This happens in all leadership positions. It's the nature of the beast. There were too many rules. Sounds like this was some carbon copy game from another board anyway. TF should have its own. I agree with Thez on changing that rule (I'm sure others don't like it as well) and with Pineapple about the time limit.
<i>But I REALLY don't want to!</i>
Then don't. You already quit and ""Washed your hands of it". It would be wrong to say, "Now give it back". Let people have their fun. It sounds like you weren't having fun for whatever reason. There can be more than one contest as well. I think this one's off to a better start. I don't participate anyway because to me it's pointless, but I like to watch and if others like to participate they should enjoy themselves. If Thez or anyone else takes over it would become their game and they can make the rules so long as they're reasonable.

the 9th rule of nep fight club is to never talk about nep fight club

Zu has da power, all hail the mighty Zu :)

I don't like the rule about the 6 months prior... How about we change that to three months?

This rule exists for a reason: one of the purposes of the contest is to illustrate the persons growing skills, and with slow growing genera like Nepenthes, you can't say that you have demonstrated any "skill" in growing any individual plant in less than six months time. I agree with that concept. In fact, I would be inclined to make that 12 months, rather than 6. Then you are really demonstrating some skill in cultivating Nepenthes!

I suggest (since this is a democracy, isn't it?) that someone start their own contest thread for those who wish to show off their plants/pitchers applying the 3 month rule. There's nothing wrong with wanting to show off your beautiful plants, but it would be legitimate to segregate the "recently established/recently acquired" plants from the ones that genuinely demonstrate the horticultural skill of the grower.

Just one mans opinion, of course. Do as you please.

This rule exists for a reason: one of the purposes of the contest is to illustrate the persons growing skills, and with slow growing genera like Nepenthes, you can't say that you have demonstrated any "skill" in growing any individual plant in less than six months time. I agree with that concept. In fact, I would be inclined to make that 12 months, rather than 6. Then you are really demonstrating some skill in cultivating Nepenthes!

I suggest (since this is a democracy, isn't it?) that someone start their own contest thread for those who wish to show off their plants/pitchers applying the 3 month rule. There's nothing wrong with wanting to show off your beautiful plants, but it would be legitimate to segregate the "recently established/recently acquired" plants from the ones that genuinely demonstrate the horticultural skill of the grower.

Just one mans opinion, of course. Do as you please.

Completely agreed! If it was 12 months, you could really show off 1337 growing skills, but then it would be completely closed off to newbies which would make this place uninviting. Terraforums is a pretty good place to start out online if you're just starting out with plants. If the contests get closed off, then we look like elitist :censor: 'good old boys club' who are here just to pat each other on the back.

Granted, some of that does go on, but at least it isn't as bad as it could be *thinks to other forums*. The reason this community is so awesome is *because* we have a constant influx of excited newcomers who breathe a blast of fresh air into what, at times, can get a little stale after everyone has come to a consensus about everything. Not *despite* the fact that there are constant newbies. I like a good argument that has solid positions for each/every side with the conviction that can only come from a burning passion for an otherwise seemingly boring hobby. And I like teaching so having new students is great!

Six months is long enough that if you're doing it really wrong, your plant won't be pitchering so you'll have nothing to go on; however if you're going OK, you'll have something to show for yourself. Nepenthes are pretty forgiving despite what a lot of people say. Not to say, of course, that I haven't killed my fair share - just off the top of my head I've killed: edwardsiana, jacquelineae, inermis, ampullaria, rafflesiana, clipeata, pervillei, etc. At least I learned from those mistakes though.

Now where are those nep pics guys :suspect:

This contest has been running since before most of us came here. If people can't be mature about this.. I guess I'll just keep doing it. :lac:
But I REALLY don't want to! So please, would anybody like to just "take my place"? And not make it your own, silly, short-lived creation.
SK told me to NOT change the rules for a reason.

well, the fact that Thez took initiative to spearhead the contest, shows that you wont have to. im also pretty sure that she is more than competent to hold up to the rules in a way that would respect SK but more over the entire TF community. all the major rules of the game are still upheld. and as you pointed out, rule number 9 shouldnt have existed in the first place, so if anything, she's restoring the contest to normal perimeters.

although i will agree with you and others on one thing, the contest should just be kept to nepenthes as opposed to pitcher-type traps. either that, or start a new contest from the ground up and just have a carnivorous plant of the month....which might be a good idea. my reason being, if you want to participate in a POTM that's exclusively nepenthes, there are already contests that exist for that purpose, which are older and more prestigious than TF's. as far as i know, there is no "carnivorous plant of the month" competition that exists on any of the CP forums.

bah, and to actually contribute to the topic at hand, N. jacquelineae:

6894300750_80b1462f00_c.jpg

7040396591_629a5d849b_c.jpg

7040396469_fa8127c10f_o.png

well, the fact that Thez took initiative to spearhead the contest, shows that you wont have to. im also pretty sure that she is more than competent to hold up to the rules in a way that would respect SK but more over the entire TF community. all the major rules of the game are still upheld. and as you pointed out, rule number 9 shouldnt have existed in the first place, so if anything, she's restoring the contest to normal perimeters.

although i will agree with you and others on one thing, the contest should just be kept to nepenthes as opposed to pitcher-type traps. either that, or start a new contest from the ground up and just have a carnivorous plant of the month....which might be a good idea. my reason being, if you want to participate in a POTM that's exclusively nepenthes, there are already contests that exist for that purpose, which are older and more prestigious than TF's. as far as i know, there is no "carnivorous plant of the month" competition that exists on any of the CP forums.

Wonderful suggestion... Will do!

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Here we go: http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1069012#post1069012

Completely agreed! If it was 12 months, you could really show off 1337 growing skills, but then it would be completely closed off to newbies which would make this place uninviting. Terraforums is a pretty good place to start out online if you're just starting out with plants. If the contests get closed off, then we look like elitist :censor: 'good old boys club' who are here just to pat each other on the back.

And I concur with that, to a point. I think the danger exists that if you modify or remove the 6 month requirement, then you risk turning the contest into a beauty pageant rather than an exercise in demonstrating the grower's skill. I believe the 6 month rule strikes a reasonable balance between "snob elite" and "pretty pitcher free-for-all". If what people want is the latter, then by all means start an appropriately themed thread rather than diluting the current contest rules.

I know you understand my point, thez, and I recognize that you basically already agree with that premise, so please take the above comments as simply an elaboration on my earlier remarks. :)

And I concur with that, to a point. I think the danger exists that if you modify or remove the 6 month requirement, then you risk turning the contest into a beauty pageant rather than an exercise in demonstrating the grower's skill. I believe the 6 month rule strikes a reasonable balance between "snob elite" and "pretty pitcher free-for-all". If what people want is the latter, then by all means start an appropriately themed thread rather than diluting the current contest rules.

I know you understand my point, thez, and I recognize that you basically already agree with that premise, so please take the above comments as simply an elaboration on my earlier remarks. :)

:hi5:

So that being said - I'm gonna go through and edit my third post to not include any other plants than neps. There's a new 'plant of the month' over in general discussions...

Awesome. You guys solved next to nothing here.
Congrats on the new contest and all, but what of the POTM for the grown ups? Still need someone willing to take it over. Otherwise, it dies.
And don't be fooled, there is no power involved.

All hail Queen Zuzumas of the new Nep POTM. :hail:

- Thez is taking ownership & making changes she feels is appropriate
- keeping the TF Nep POTM going (the fact that another forum also has a contest doesn't matter imho)(pics of excellent plants are cool ---> more=better)
- Thez's argument for keeping TF noob-friendly (although 6 month ownership limit seems reasonable)
- the job that Mass did while leading POTM - especially adding the pics to the voting thread (probably time-consuming but nice touch that saves time for the rest of us)
- the potential for an overall CP contest of the month (just need an owner to run with it) - ooops - looks like it was done while I was still writing

Dislikes:
- losing Rule 9. My N. tenuis has a new mature pitcher with a slightly longer profile. It doesn't seem right that I could enter it again this month...
- Thez voluntarily not entering plants in contest
- Mass's comment about grownups - huh??

In keeping with the spirit of the thread ...
N. argentii
Nargentiifront040312RS.jpg

The lid 'stuck' for a while so when it did finally open, it went higher than usual.

Here's a bit more of a closeup of the under-lid teeth (still not 'mature' but I think they're inching their way up the lid - maybe) ???
Nargentii040312RS.jpg

Back