What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher of the month rules voting!

Should the rules be kept or changed?

• Keep rule 1 as it is.

Votes: 35 100.0%
  • Change rule 1.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep rule 2 as it is.

Votes: 35 100.0%
  • Change rule 2.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep rule 3 as it is.

Votes: 33 94.3%
  • Change rule 3.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Keep rule 4 as it is.

Votes: 32 91.4%
  • Change rule 4.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Keep rule 5 as it is.

• Change rule 5.

• Keep rule 6 as it is.

Votes: 33 94.3%
  • Change rule 6.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Keep rule 7 as it is.

• Change rule 7.

• Keep rule 8 as it is.

Votes: 28 80.0%
  • Change rule 8.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Keep rule 9 as it is.

Votes: 26 74.3%
  • Change rule 9.

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Keep rule 10 as it is.

Votes: 34 97.1%
  • Change rule 10.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Keep rule 11 as it is.

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • Change rule 11.

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
thez_yo requested a poll so we could figure out what the you all want from this contest! So here the options are, open for one week.

You get to make up to 11 choices... Pick keep or change for each rule. If one is voted by majority to be changed... That will be addressed later.
Andrew

Specifically rule #9 is the one being addressed here I believe....

The rules as they currently are:
1. Only ONE (1) PITCHER per member may be entered in any particular month.
2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
3. All entries must be clearly identified.
4. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
5. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing on 04/30/12
6. Sequential pictures showing opening of a pitcher are fine as long as all pictures are taken within the month of the contest.
7. If, for some reason, a single pitcher cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular pitcher entered must be clearly identified in your post.
8. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo.
9. Any plant(s) that have finished in the top 3 may not be reentered again for the following 90 days.
10. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
11. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 05/01/12, closing 05/05/12 and using the Condorcet Internet Voting Service (Beatpath/Schulze/CSSD completion rule). The THREE (3) most popular entries (according to "proportional representation") will be considered "Winners" and the top 3 places will be posted in the 'Hall of Fame" sub-board.

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Make sure to note that rule 9 is shown here.... so if you want it gone, vote correctly. I just don't want people to assume that this is how it is for the April contest recently started with rule 9 already removed. If you voted incorrectly, PM me.
Andrew

Last edited:
o_O well I was going to post in the thread that I always ment to modify rule 9 to the same pitcher could not be entered again in general, that way the same plant could be... The rule was in place more to keep people who grow plants like hamata, villosa, edwardsiana or other plants that usually take the first three spots from taking it over and over again and allowing others a chance to stand out... Personally i never intended the competition to get this popular but I'm glad to see it did... I just don't want it to turn into something that's just not fun anymore... If you want to change the rule from ownership of the plant from 6 mo to 3, I'm ok with that too.. Coulda just asked ;)

I just don't want it to turn into something that's just not fun anymore...

Sorry it came to this TF, but that's exactly what happened to me.
I just wanted to keep POTM going the best I could. It's one of the few things I can look forward to every month.
However, I'm to the point I don't even want to enter my plants anymore.
Thank you Thez for keeping it going.
I hope now everyone can continue to enjoy it as much as I used to.

I vote the 6 month rule stays. It's a good show of growmanship. And that is a real word according to "Mass's Rules and Regulations".

to the more debated options:
Rule 8: keep it at 6 months (or possibly longer). when i grew aristolochiodes, the thing grew fine for me for about 4-5 months, getting bigger and pitchering well, then it just died... poof. same thing with my muluensis x lowii. if you can keep a nepenthes alive for 3 months, thats great! in my eyes, PoTM is a contest showing prestige in your plants. it shows that these plants have been in your care long enough that you understand how it grows. if anything, this rule should be extended to longer times, not shorter ones.

Rule 9: keep this rule as well. i dont want to see the same plant win every month. oh wow! look at that rajah pitcher! thats incredible!--- oh another rajah pitcher? thats cool---- rajah...again? show some variety in your plants guys and gals! besides. say your plant's pitcher gets top three, there is a strong possibility that in three months your plant will have an even better pitcher.

Rule 10: i love this voting method... how would YOU change it?

Alex

However, I'm to the point I don't even want to enter my plants anymore.

But this is what I don't get, why? ???

The competition has gotten incredibly harder as each month goes by. Is that why? It just means that actually winning a place carries with it more prestige. ???

No. That's not why.. I enjoy the competition.
Maybe if people purposely vote you into dead last month after month you'd understand.

Rule 10: i love this voting method... how would YOU change it?
Actually, this is something I'd like to see change. While the voting methodology appears to be robust (& beyond my ability to grasp), it is vulnerable to voting fraud (thru simple IP address spoofing). While I'd prefer to believe that no one gets that serious over a simple photo contest, possible irregularities within last month's voting causes me to prefer the poll mechanism within TF.
Edit: oops - yes I meant rule 11

Last edited:
Uhhh, I think Andrew want to hold off discussion until after the poll closes. Otherwise we could end up spinning our wheels discussing points that only one or two people would like changed.

Pick keep or change for each rule. If one is voted by majority to be changed... That will be addressed later.
Andrew

NaN I think discussion here of possible changes is fine. It gets people thinking before they vote (if they haven't already) of how a rule could be changed, or maybe, good reasons why it should stay. It just won't be considered seriously for change unless it votes that way. :)

Ron, I think rule 10 is just about the time voting ends, not the method of voting. Although, rule 10 I believe aims at the use of a specific voting program/url/method whatever you want to call it.

edit: I just checked that program of it's security.. seems it isn't even as difficult as IP spoofing.... It is just by unique email addresses.... how many do YOU have? lol I think TF voting is definitely more secure, even if not as "easy" to do.
Andrew

Uhhh, I think Andrew want to hold off discussion until after the poll closes. Otherwise we could end up spinning our wheels discussing points that only one or two people would like changed.

I disagree 100%. Do we not discuss candidates long before voting for president?
Same concept..

One this isn't a presidential election. Two under parliamentary procedure debating is done before the vote. Voting has already begun.

Do you see presidential debates during the voting?

Nightmare memories of Robert's Rules of Order :p
Mr. chairman... I call for the Orders of the Day

:p

edit: I just checked that program of it's security.. seems it isn't even as difficult as IP spoofing.... It is just by unique email addresses.... how many do YOU have? lol I think TF voting is definitely more secure, even if not as "easy" to do.
Andrew

Is it too late to change my vote on #11?
*And THIS is why it's good to discuss prior to voting. Lesson learned I suppose.
Really wish we would've done this long ago. A TF vote page is way better..

One this isn't a presidential election. Two under parliamentary procedure debating is done before the vote. Voting has already begun.

Do you see presidential debates during the voting?

No. By personal choice I'm 33 and have never voted in my life. Or payed attention to anything political.
I was simply saying it's good to discuss what we're voting about. *

Last edited:
Mass, I edited your vote to change option 11 to change it.
Andrew

Mass, I edited your vote to change option 11 to change it.
Andrew

Awesome. Thank you..
Don't know why we didn't think of this sooner. Perfect solution to many problems.

I went back to find the email verification quote to post it here.. and found one about IP addies... lol Not sure where I saw the email thing, but anyway- if it ONLY checks IP and or email, I feel TF polls are still better.... Not that I understand why someone would waste so much time and effort on such a thing. haha Sorry to have said it was email only without bringing the quote. :-\

Malicious voter... In a public election, a malicious voter can vote multiple times by using a different IP address for each vote. If a voter in a private election claims that they did not receive their voter key, the same key can be reissued without giving them the ability to vote more than once.

edit: ahhh this is if the election supervisor is wanting to cheat...

Similarly, the supervisor could invite himself to vote many times by providing different email addresses that he controls.

edit: ahhh this is if the election supervisor is wanting to cheat...

:mwahaha:

...seriously though, if I end up being the supervisor instead of one of the mods, I'll just abstain from voting. Actually, I usually don't vote at all so how about I don't vote at all? Nepenthes are *all* my favorites :-D

That only works for private voting, where you have to invite each person that wants to vote by email.. so I don't think that way is done.

I figure the rules are fine as is - though I don't care if anyone reenters the same pitcher over and over though I know I'd be thinking "that one again?". :lol:

The 6+ months growing in your possession is totally fine by me - these are long term plants and 6 months is nothing in the big picture of Nepenthes growing. I never enter anything or vote but I have wondered why the voting isn't done on a TF poll instead of outside. And that IS one of the reasons I don't ever vote, if it were a vote held on TF I'm sure I would at least vote.

Yeah that is a good idea. Create a poll with the entries. It would make it easier to tally votes and such.

IDO about the rules. Havent really read them. The 6 month rule is fine, but for someone like me I didnt till recently start keeping track of the dates I aquired plants. and frankly that is the only rule I know. LOL

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

ok I voted. LOL

Back