What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identify N. x Unidentified!

Anyone thins it looks like maxima xx (stenophylla x lowii)? Just a guess... ???

God, that would be awesome. :hail:

max-lowii-sten01.jpg

Sadly, mine doesn't have that many stripes or that much color. :(

God, that would be awesome. :hail:

max-lowii-sten01.jpg

Sadly, mine doesn't have that many stripes or that much color. :(

No, it isn't.
In trying to ID a mature Nepenthes from upper pitchers only, you are venturing into very murky waters indeed. That plant could be any number of hybrids. When it presents some adult lower pitchers, you will have a better chance of guessing at its pedigree.

looks like one of Tony's glandulifera hybrids. The hairy spotted tendrils are a dead giveaway it's part glandulifera..

looks like one of Tony's glandulifera hybrids. The hairy spotted tendrils are a dead giveaway it's part glandulifera..

I'm afraid the spotting is some kind of tropical mold. It grows on the pitchers too, but doesn't seem to cause any issues. Not on the leaves or the vine though, just the pitchers and tendrils. It can be wiped off though. :)

Do you know the exact species in the hybrids so I can look them up on Google Images or CP Photo Finder and compare to my specimen?

Was just outside in the greenhouse looking at everything and I saw the newest pitcher on the plant... It has that little bump right in the front center of the peristome. It's pointed up on this one, but on the previous one it is pointing outwards.

I'll stop bumping this thread until it produces a lower.

HAHA soooooo glad i watched that video......one of those OMG OMG OMG moments when trying not more than 30 minutes before..... to explain this song to a friend who just happens to be next to me rolling on the floor.....wait till i show him the music video.

thanks for the LOLOL

nope. he just had them as glandulifera hybrid. Almost picked one up for the nepenthes showcase I did at the hydroshop.

Back to this topic...

It made this as a lower... (4" or so)

24vqss0.jpg

be91f9.jpg

And then it made THIS... (about 7", faint stripes, more flush peristome)

6gc09u.jpg

I've been told it probably has maxima in it, and I personally believe it has alata in it. Looks a lot boschiana-y to me, but I can't find boschiana x alata. Maxima x boschiana doesn't look like it, the peristome is too flared for it to be this plant.

Any ideas?

Very pretty for sure. More likely some sort of N. maxima, alata, "thorelii" something hybrid. Perhaps some N. tobaica in there too?? I know it's been used with "thorelii" in the past also. I doubt you will ever know more than that..
Less likely to be a N. boschiana hybrid. There are simply not as many and they tend to be darker purple vs red which is more N. alata and "thorelii" and to some extent N. maxima

Back