What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LL Adaptable to HL?

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
Just looking for some names of LL's that are adaptable to HL conditions. Specifically 55F nights on average, 85F days on average. I have a greenhouse with a shelf full of highlanders, but I do like some lowlanders (bical, rafflesiana, ect.) and would like to give them a shot. I'm planning to set up a LL terrarium in the next few months, so if the LL's don't grow as fast as I would like, I can always stick them in the terrarium for the winter. Just curious which species would be the most adaptable. ???

Thanks in advance! :)

Well... if something is called a lowlander, then it generally does not want to be grown as a highlander. It's kind of all in the name. :scratch:

Things you're looking for are called intermediates, or highlanders.

They are sort of separate ideas.

N. ampullaria and N. rafflesiana can do fine in HL, as they've done for me. I grow my N. rafflesiana in HL conditions with low humidity, but with higer humidity it will be even better. N. ampullaria I've found grows in a wide range of conditions but high humidity is a must.

N. campanulata can also grow in HL from what I've heard.

I currently grow 3 lowlanders, N. rafflesiana, bicalcarata, and mirabilis 'tiger'. I tried growing the raff and mirabilis in HL conditions and both grew, but neither liked it. Bical, I won't even try. They are all currently on my windowsill and much to my liking they are kinda liking it. My raff is starting to pitcher, the mirabilis I am slowly adjusting to lower humidity as it's still small, but it is pitchering profusely. My bical is relatively new and is adjusting to my windowsill. It is growing, so I am happy. Waiting to see if it pitchers for me. Just my experiences.

Smilesii will do well in the temps you mention, as will the red form of albomarginata. gracillis might be worth a try as well.

Any more suggestions guys? I'm into anything that is different or you can't find in a highlander, and I also love GIANT pitchers!

Well... if something is called a lowlander, then it generally does not want to be grown as a highlander. It's kind of all in the name. :scratch:

Things you're looking for are called intermediates, or highlanders.

They are sort of separate ideas.

Yeah, I know, but there are some LL species I would like to give a try, and I've heard some do well in HL conditions. As I said, if it doesn't work out to my liking, I can stick them in a LL terrarium once set up. :)

N. ampullaria and N. rafflesiana can do fine in HL, as they've done for me. I grow my N. rafflesiana in HL conditions with low humidity, but with higer humidity it will be even better. N. ampullaria I've found grows in a wide range of conditions but high humidity is a must.

N. campanulata can also grow in HL from what I've heard.

Rafflesiana is one of my favorite LL's, so I think I'll give that one a try. I've read a few accounts of it being adaptable to HL. I actually saw a picture of an amp (I believe it was an amp, either that or a bical) growing out in the snow and still alive! Pretty awesome. So if I can find an amp, I'll give it a shot. I really like campanulatas, so if I find one I may try that too. :-D

I currently grow 3 lowlanders, N. rafflesiana, bicalcarata, and mirabilis 'tiger'. I tried growing the raff and mirabilis in HL conditions and both grew, but neither liked it. Bical, I won't even try. They are all currently on my windowsill and much to my liking they are kinda liking it. My raff is starting to pitcher, the mirabilis I am slowly adjusting to lower humidity as it's still small, but it is pitchering profusely. My bical is relatively new and is adjusting to my windowsill. It is growing, so I am happy. Waiting to see if it pitchers for me. Just my experiences.

Smilesii will do well in the temps you mention, as will the red form of albomarginata. gracillis might be worth a try as well.

If I find one you mentioned, I'll give it a shot! I'm really into the ones that you can't find anything like them in the HL selection, I think gracilis is pretty uniquely shaped with pretty much no peristome, so that will be first on my list of the ones you mentioned.

N. bical will do good. The pitchers won't be as fat, but they don't get that big anyways.

N. bical will do good. The pitchers won't be as fat, but they don't get that big anyways.

iI'm not so sure about that.

My bicalcarata suffered greatly and mostly refused to pitcher when given HL temps. The pitchers it did produce had funky lid syndrome and were pretty homely.

Also, this:

dsc03844n.jpg

Not the biggest Nepenthes there is, but certainly seems sort of heft to me!

Holy ****! The tendril is as round as the pinky finger!

What I was talking about if anyone is interested in it...

Snowygreenhouse.jpg

b2.jpg

I could definitely try one in my LL terrarium once it gets set up I think, and then I could move it into the greenhouse in summer.

Generally speaking many lowland plants can tolerate colder than prefered night temperatures IF the day temperatures are nice and warm.. 85 is good. But it needs to be consistantly that temperature. Some plants in my experience will dislike the cold nights regardless of the day temperature. N. bicalcarata is one of them. Too cold at night and it will turn black and it doesn't matter how warm it was that day. 55 is way too cold for this one imo.
Some you could try.
N. ampullaria (red forms seem to deal better with the cold)
N. viking or globosa or mirabilis globosa.. or whatever you want to call it
N. albomarginata
N. campanulata
N. rafflesiana - probably be ok but may not thrive like it should
N. truncata
probably some others that I can't think of off the top of my head..

Thats strange... I find that my Bical really doesn't matter what the night temps are as long as the days are >85

Some you could try.
N. ampullaria (red forms seem to deal better with the cold)
N. viking or globosa or mirabilis globosa.. or whatever you want to call it
N. albomarginata
N. campanulata
N. rafflesiana - probably be ok but may not thrive like it should
N. truncata

Thank you! I'll write those down on a piece of paper and take it with me next time I go nep shopping. :-D

Back