What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ventricosa Leaves Curling, Dying?

IMG_0002.jpg

Any idea on what may be causing this?

My nepenthes do this sometimes, it can be caused by a number of things. For me it is a lack of water, but I've also had it occur as the beginnings of sun burn or salt accumulation.

Im not much of a Nepenthes expert, but I can tell you that more info is needed for people to give you a solution. Temperature? Humidity? etc...

yikes... first, bag the plant immediately. It clearly needs to be adapted to your conditions.

Lack of moisture

Definately put it in a large ziplock bag to increase humidity and adust it slowly. What media are you using?

The media is ABG mix (2 parts tree fern fiber, 1 part peat moss, 2 parts cocofiber, 1 part charcoal, and 2 parts orchid bark.)

The temperature is around 76-78 in the day and 68 at night.

Humidity is pretty low, but the soil is moist. I think going from winter->summer maybe had something to do with it? It has been fine since February and it just started doing this...

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Ok, I put the plant+its water tray in a 5 gallon aquarium, watered it, and then poured distilled water all around the water tray, then covered the 5 gallon with glass. If this does solve the problem, can it bounce back?

By water tray do you mean that it's sitting in water?

I'd say depends on how long it's been in your care. If it's only just come in, it's probably low humidity and bag the plant. if you've had it a while (and I'd suggest this for a new one too), carefully move back the soil and check the roots. My plants have done this due to root rot before many times. if this is the case, find the rot zone and get rid of it, then sterilize as best as you can and apply a rooting hormone, then also bag the plant.

I'd say depends on how long it's been in your care. If it's only just come in, it's probably low humidity and bag the plant. if you've had it a while (and I'd suggest this for a new one too), carefully move back the soil and check the roots. My plants have done this due to root rot before many times. if this is the case, find the rot zone and get rid of it, then sterilize as best as you can and apply a rooting hormone, then also bag the plant.

yes you should check the roots
it also could be lack of moisture

It looks like it needs water, but I can't tell whether your media is wet or dry under that layer of 'black' stuff. It might be damaged roots which lead to the plant not absorbing water too.

Ok, here's an update, I think I helped it recover pretty well.
IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032-1.jpg

The pot is in a water tray, that's actually protecting it from about 1-2 centimeters of water that's in the aquariuam (it's a 5 gallon) to keep the humidity up...
IMG_0033-1.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

That looks much better!
Of course it doesn't need that much humidity forever, now you can start slowly acclimating it to a lower humidity level.

Wow, great job reviving it so quickly!

Looks like you saved it!!!!But the media still looks funky(black)is that from the charcol?

Looks like you saved it!!!!But the media still looks funky(black)is that from the charcol?

It's just the nature of the substrate, it's a mixture of peat, lfs, orchid bark, charcoal, and tree fern fiber...

Wow good to see it's better!! I was really worried at first, and judging by the amount of wilting didn't think it would survive. Congrats!!

Would it be detrimental to keep it at this humidity?

What humidity do you have it at now? If its at 100% most of the time then I would start to slowly remove the top of the terrarium week by week till you have it adapted to the humidity you will be growing it at. Ventricosas are very hardy so if you were planning to grow it on a windsill. . . etc then you could do just that.

Back