What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. x 'Sunset' Lineage Questions

Hello everyone!

This really doesn't matter all that much, but it has been troubling me recently, and I'd like to seek some professional opinions. I bought this beautiful Nepenthes hybrid last fall, and the tag with it called it Nepenthes (spathulata x spectrabilis) x albomarginata 'Sunset' (see last picture)

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

And the tag that came with it:
IMG_0575.jpg

BUT! When checking with the CP photofinder, to get an idea of what the adult pitchers might look like, I find it having the following nomenclature: Nepenthes (spathulata x spectabilis) x (albomarginata x eustachya)

So which is it? Do I trust the tag that it came with (and I got the impression it came straight from the breeder), or do I go with what the links on the photofinder lead me to? And, does it look like it has any of that N. eustachya in it? I'd like to think that they didn't name two hybrids the same thing.... I feel like it's especially important since one of the three pictures of this hybrid on the photofinder is of this exactly specimen.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing what you have to say,
CJ

These extensive hybrid crosses are hard to guess, but considering that N. eustachya has a fat bottom part with a skinny upper part it looks like to me that this does have some eustachya genes in it (look in the last pitcher pic... see the wide fat bottom and the slimmer upper part of the pitcher). The stripy parts on the pitchers are from the spectablis genes, but the orangish bottom part of the pitcher in the last pic certainly resembles the colors of eustachya. Also, the orange stripes on the pitcher peristomes resemble eustachya, since spectablis has black stripes most of the time. Right now thats about all I can tell from looking at it.

Hope this helps,
Lance

That is an amazing hybrid! N (spathulata x spectabilis) x (albomarginata x eustachya) is correct. The 3rd link on cp photofinder is to the 'GREX registry' of the nursery that created the hybrid and it shows both parent plants.

Back