User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will the brown woody stem root, or do you need a nice green stem for a cutting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion would be to wait until a basal forms. Then cut the green part of the vine and root it. It would be probable that new growth will form on the woody stem if left attached to the basal. When new growth is mature enough on the woody stem, you can cut the stem and root it. This will net you three or more plants depending on how many nodes activate on the stem. Of course there is a chance that the stem won't activate any nodes, and then you are left with two. Which was your original intent, I believe.

In my research and personal experience, you can encourage basal growth when the vine is left to grow horizontally or the pot is tilted at an angle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, actually the intent was to just get rid of the unsightly woody stem. There really is no hurry however, so I have adopted a long term approach (see photo). Don't know if this will work or not, but I'm not out anything except a little time and rack space.

Will the brown woody stem root, or do you need a nice green stem for a cutting?-maxiaxalata-jpg

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Basically you're attempting "air layering" run some searches for that, definitely an option...
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had forgotten that was what it was called, thanks. We use this method for propagating raspberry canes and grape vines. I figured it would work with neps since they are vines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12