User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the brown woody stem root, or do you need a nice green stem for a cutting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will the brown woody stem root, or do you need a nice green stem for a cutting?

I have a N. maxia x alata that is about 10" of brown woody stem with about 2 - 3" of green at the end. There are 6 or so nice healthy leaves (some with young pitchers) plus the growing tip. I would really love to get rid of all that brown woody stem. Do I need to wait until it goes into vining mode and make a regular cutting out of it, or can I cut off the woody stem, strip off the bottom 2 or 3 leaves and try to root that? I am under the impression that only a green stem will root and the woody stem will not, perhaps I am wrong. I really don't want to kill it, but that long woody stem takes up a lot of room.
    Last edited by Rocketcaver; 05-19-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've rooted woody ventrata stems before. They just take a bit longer and seem to stay sensitive and finicky until they root really hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In January I rooted three rafflesiana cuttings made from the woody part of the stem. So far I've seen good root growth but no side shoots. Hope that helps!
    -Arthur

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chances are much greater if there's a root system established. i've had success with jamban, talangensis, and glabrata this way.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amphirion, I'm not sure I understand your answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gah....sorry about that rocketcaver.... i should have read the question thoroughly instead of skimming it.

the chances of just a woody stem without a growth point or activated node rooting is much more difficult than with those growth points because the plant must work off energies only found in the wooden stem since there are no leaves/green to replenish that energy via photosynthesis. that being said, i would argue the best approach would be to decapitate the main stem, and keep the long wooden stem intact with it's roots. this way, the plant can still draw nutrients from the roots, which will allow it to activate its dormant nodes. once when these nodes are activated (at least 3 leaves into development), you can then cut the stems accordingly to the activated sites--the cuttings will have a higher chance of striking this way.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've found that cutting slits up the woody stem at the bottom about 1/2-3/4" help root- the roots end up coming out of these slits. I also use a rooting powder stuff (green light from Lowes). Here is an example from 2005 with N. thorelii x truncata that Ludwig777 had sent me...

Will the brown woody stem root, or do you need a nice green stem for a cutting?-thoreliixtruncata-roots-jpg
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a quick shot of the plant in question just for clarification.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will the brown woody stem root, or do you need a nice green stem for a cutting?-maxia-alata-jpg  
    Last edited by Rocketcaver; 05-20-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast