What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungal infection??

tje25

Plant Addict!!
After talking with mato in chat and seeing what was going on with his tujuh, I started to get a little worried... a couple of my neps appear to have the same thing or something similar.

I just wanted to post a few pics and get some other opinions. Thanks in advance for the help!

N. gentle Has been starting to get red spots for awhile now, and the newest leaf to unfold is an orangeish color ( I just figure it was from the new light)

DSC03594.jpg

DSC03595.jpg

DSC03596.jpg

DSC03597.jpg

And this is the N. truncata x spectabilis, It has looked like this since I got it, i just figured it was one of those red leaf neps, but maybie it is the source of the fungus... Idk

DSC03598.jpg

DSC03599.jpg

Thanks for looking
Travis

Doesn't look like what my singalana Tujuh is experiencing, but I can't really tell you what it is.. Personally, I don't think I'd be too concerned. Sorta looks like humidity shock.

Doesn't look like what my singalana Tujuh is experiencing, but I can't really tell you what it is.. Personally, I don't think I'd be too concerned. Sorta looks like humidity shock.
Thanks for the reply, So you dont think those dark purpleish spots are tha seme thing you are dealing with? what do you think looks like humidity shock? the orangeish leaves?

Just not sure at all about the trunc x spect it has looked like that since I got it...

Yeah.. I don't think I'm going to be a particularly useful source. All I can tell you is that it's not the same as the fungus afflicting my Tujuh. I'm sure Tony or someone may chime in soon with a solid answer.

Yeah.. I don't think I'm going to be a particularly useful source. All I can tell you is that it's not the same as the fungus afflicting my Tujuh. I'm sure Tony or someone may chime in soon with a solid answer.

Thanks Mato! I appreciate it!

Anybody else have any ideas?

I have that on 75% of my plants. It's only the ones from one place though, its a good place however, so I trust them. It's probably not good, but I've noticed no issues because of it. Some plants that have it grow faster than the ones that don't have it. Actually, most that have it do grow faster, I think that's just chance though.

Not an expert...

I don't really see any cause for concern. Looks like the plants are adjusting to higher light levels. I have truncata x spectabilis and it does the same thing since it is growing in high light. Some nepenthes' leaves will turn a bronze to red color in higher light intensity, some have spots here and there. As long as the leaves aren't burning you should be OK.

If you find you are burning the leaves, you could move the light a little higher away from the plants and inch or two, and then re-evaluate.

Red tendrils is usually a good indication for me that a plant is getting a good amount of light... genetics permitting of course.

Last edited:
I have seen this on a couple of the recently acuired neps. Red spots that later grew and turned brown. The person that I got the plants from suggested it was due to the shock of translplanting or shock due to change in growing conditions. What is interesting is that in the same pot as an affected plant grew its smaller sibling, and although it was in close contact with the affected plant, it shows no red spots...

Thanks Dashman! I appreciate the input! So are some nep leaves just red anyways? I have had the truncata x spectabilis for quite awhile now and it hasnt changed much, besides the new leaves being a more solid redish color instead of the blotchy red leaves that it came with...

Not an expert...

I don't really see any cause for concern. Looks like the plants are adjusting to higher light levels. I have truncata x spectabilis and it does the same thing since it is growing in high light. Some nepenthes' leaves will turn a bronze to red color in higher light intensity, some have spots here and there. As long as the leaves aren't burning you should be OK.

If you find you are burning the leaves, you could move the light a little higher away from the plants and inch or two, and then re-evaluate.

I think its the little purple/red spots that the OP is referring to. I have those on my plants with green leaves, and they've had those even in a terrarium under T5 and T12...

Alright, I'm starting to feel a little better! thanks Gill, and everyone! Ill just leave them be for now and see what happens :)

Thanks Dashman! I appreciate the input! So are some nep leaves just red anyways? I have had the truncata x spectabilis for quite awhile now and it hasnt changed much, besides the new leaves being a more solid redish color instead of the blotchy red leaves that it came with...

Red leaves is usually a reaction of high light. Think plant sunburn. Few nepenthes have red leaves naturally. Of course I haven't been watching them as closely as you, but it looks like your plants are getting more light than they are used to and in the upper limits of what they can take. As long as new growth looks healthy and isn't in decline and pitchering they should be OK. If you notice they are continually getting too red and/or leaves aren't lasting as long as they should, go ahead and move the lights away from the plant a little and then re-evaluate after a few weeks.

Again, not an expert. Just going by my own experiences.

I think its the little purple/red spots that the OP is referring to. I have those on my plants with green leaves, and they've had those even in a terrarium under T5 and T12...

Yeah, those looked like nectar glands with too much sun. Some of my plants have bumps where nectar glands are, and they get red from time to time.

Again, not an expert. Just going by my own experiences.

Thanks again Dash! i really appreciate it... although...they are still under the same amount and kind of t-5 bulbs that they have been under, but they are under a 4 bulb fixture instead of two 2 bulb fixtures...even a little farther away (maybie a couple inches)

Ok here is the breakdown of what I see is going on

The red dots- do not worry about those, they are more than likely blocked nectar glands, think of them as plant pimples, I see this very frequently.

Red leaves on the tujuh singalana, you are correct, light increase will sometimes redden a plants leaves, this is normal, and is fine.

The red leaves on the spect x truncata. Spectabilis is notorious a red leaved species, it makes since that it's hybrids could have this trait, no cause for concern there...

Your plants look healthy and fine, if you have any other issues bring it up, someone can answer it I'm sure.

Ok here is the breakdown of what I see is going on

The red dots- do not worry about those, they are more than likely blocked nectar glands, think of them as plant pimples, I see this very frequently.

Red leaves on the tujuh singalana, you are correct, light increase will sometimes redden a plants leaves, this is normal, and is fine.

The red leaves on the spect x truncata. Spectabilis is notorious a red leaved species, it makes since that it's hybrids could have this trait, no cause for concern there...

Your plants look healthy and fine, if you have any other issues bring it up, someone can answer it I'm sure.

Thanks alot SirKristoff! You put my mind at ease :)

Are you foliar fertilizing? Could be fertilizer burn.

I was comparing it to this on mine...

24xzxn8.jpg

Looks pretty similar, just a lot more of it on mine. Perhaps something different though.

Back