What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sunlight advice

hey guys ive noticed now that some of my neps do not colour up sufficiently. I have shade net over my gh and this might be too strong. So i have decided to gradually move my shade net over the next month so that half my greenhouse is exposed to full sunlight and half would be shaded.

Do you think this will work? What species and hybrids would like being in the sun? I know that maxima and their hybrids want full sun so dont mention them. What about rajah, lowii, villosa and lowii hybrids? What species would like low light levels?

Thanx

I think that it ill work but it will need some experimenting to see how it goes. I find that my Nepenthes miranda likes full sun out of all my LL neps so that may be the only plant you need to place in full sun. A corner of the GH will do. All the others seem to color up fine with the shade cloth over them.

On another note I just saw your response to my seed thread where the seeds fell off the counter (I was too busy with finals to contact you). Do you still have some extras of those seeds? I remember you saying you were going to ship some again in the post. . .

Thanks,
Lance

Well my maximas don get any colour in their leaves so they need full sun too.

No i havent sent the seeds but i have plenty of them. Im getting some singalana hybrid seeds too so ill send those to you.

Just a reminder to legally import seed into the US a phytosanitary certificate and/or Plant Protection Quarantine permit 587 (PPQ587) is required depending on the number of seeds and taxa. These must enter the US through one of the Plant Inspection Stations. Otherwise the person receiving the seeds (importer) is in violation of the Code of Federal Regulations Title 7, United States Code Titles 7 and 18. This applies to seeds and plants bought from eBay also. See this thread on importing plants and seed into the US.

Dude read the thread name please if you have nothing to say about the thread then dont say anything at all

I find the Maximas are hard to get too much light.
My Tentana red has scrambled its way to the lights and is forming uppers within inches of the T-5 HO's.
The higher light level does bring out the red in these plants!

Thats good news, does the light help in the formation of uppers in maxima? My tentena has started vining, how big was yours when it started to vine mine is still less than 30 cm and its already vining?

I had all of my HL neps growing under a 20w 10000K T5 and a 20w purple T12 for four to five months with tons of growth and no signs of issue. I think the issue is too much light rather than too little light. I have 50% shade cloth over my greenhouse that's in the shade for most of the day and in the sun for maybe two or three hours a day. My neps showed signs of minor sunburn when I moved them out and some are now producing red leaves even after they've adjusted. Some neps are jungle plants and others grow out in the open. I would personally just throw 50% shade cloth over the greenhouse and not worry about it. The ones that want more light won't have any issues in my experience.

Dude read the thread name please if you have nothing to say about the thread then dont say anything at all

I think he was just expressing concern about legally importing the seeds since it was mentioned. Probably didn't mean to derail the thread. It should try to be done legally.

I think my shadecloth is 60-70% and this i think youll agree is too little light for a few species of nep like maxima

I think my shadecloth is 60-70% and this i think youll agree is too little light for a few species of nep like maxima

Well, I'm way farther North than you. You're very close to the equator where the light levels are intense... So 60% shade shouldn't be bad. Remember, I grew my HL under 40w of 10000K and purple light lol.

Actually south africa is at 45 degrees which is pretty far from the equator so we do not get too much sunlight in autumn winter and spring

Back