What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Dubia seadlings

Hi. These were planted 5/5/2012 and started poping up about 2 weeks ago. :boogie: Have 9 that have started growing so far.
They are growing under Fluro 4 x 36w on timer 18hours a day on time.

Now I have them started what should I do? leave them as they are untill they get bigger?

What temperature should I be looking for?

P6190376.jpg

Congratulations; you must have some fresh seed on hand -- and good luck with them down the line. You'll likely experience sprouting for months to come, if my trays are any indication.

I have found that that species benefits from a good amount of light, since it occurs around 2000 meters in the wild . . .

awesome news!!! i have some dubia seeds that were planted a week back. really hope to be seein lil green sprouts like you soon!

i think you want to leave them in the same conditions till they get bigger. you can bring the light down to the 14 hour a day nep standard.

Wow, people have seeds of everything sprouting these days! Congrats - sprouting neps is still a mystery to me :lol:

Congratulations!

Wow, people have seeds of everything sprouting these days! Congrats - sprouting neps is still a mystery to me :lol:

So it seems. I have about 25 lil N. jamban seedlings recently germinated. :)

Thanks. I was happy to see them so quick. I have N. singalana, N. jamban and N. izumiae growing in the same place but none have started. Do they need different conditions or just the luck of the game?

Thanks. I was happy to see them so quick. I have N. singalana, N. jamban and N. izumiae growing in the same place but none have started. Do they need different conditions or just the luck of the game?

All of them can take a while; Nepenthes does everything in its own time . . .

All of them can take a while; Nepenthes does everything in its own time . . .

Ok thanks. I can be patient. Just want to make sure I have the best chance of getting them to grow.

how long did those take to germ for ya?

@myles: I'd have to go look at the sow date on the tag, but I think it was early March. I believe I saw the first germinations at eight weeks from the sow date.

i only ask because i have jamban and inermis seeds on the way :) real nice that you had so many successfully germ!

My fluros are 6500K should I have a combination with another to help with there growth?

up to you, i grow under a wide variety of bulbs but have heard many people have success using all 6500 k

@whimgrinder, thanks :) really want to have both species in my collection but they are pricey so to seed i go!

I sowed a number of dubia, jamban, lingulata, and bicalcarata seeds a month or so ago, and as of now I have about 30 jamban seedlings, and just as many dubia... Looks like I might have some lingulata sprouts starting but I didn't have time for a close look...

did you get your seeds from a source where you knew how fresh they were? mine are coming from ebuy so really not sure what kinda germ rate i can achieve.

I have some jamban sprouts from an ebuy that are growing pretty well. If I remember, they germinated in about two weeks. I got 16 out of maybe 50 seeds, and nothing has happened from those extras yet. I just have them sitting near my window under my lamp which is like 3400K or so, and they seem to enjoy it.

Congratulations; you must have some fresh seed on hand -- and good luck with them down the line. You'll likely experience sprouting for months to come, if my trays are any indication.

I have found that that species benefits from a good amount of light, since it occurs around 2000 meters in the wild . . .

Is there a temperature I should be aiming for? do they need a drop in temp for night time like highlanders?

yes, dubias want a temp drop as they are highlanders. i grow my highlanders with day temps of upper 70s n night in mid 50s. you can get away with night temps a bit higher but u def want a decent drop

Back