What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cut Back or Throw Out?

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
My N. densiflora x spectabilis had all these little white things all over it, so I pulled a bunch of the leaves off and wiped the whole thing down with alcohol because the white things were in between the node and the leaf too. After a bit, the leaves turned yellow, the brown and died. The newest leaf is extremely flimsy and is turning black. The growth tip I'm not even sure if it is alive...

If I were to cut this guy back, how would I do so? Where would I cut it? As far up the stem, or as far down the stem, as possible? I probably won't do so until I make my next trip to the nep store and pick up some neps. I'll need the space that the pot is taking up and I'll need the sphagnum growing in the pot as well to put around a healthy nep.

Got any pics of the bugs? If it was a mealy infestation, you've gotta repot the plant too, but sometimes that still isn't even enough and throwing the plant out is the safest option. Since that's a pretty nice hybrid, perhaps you should just completely remove it from your other plants and put it in quarantine for a few months, spraying it monthly with imidacloprid or some other pesticide.

i would not get any new plants for a while till your shore these pests did not spread

Got any pics of the bugs? If it was a mealy infestation, you've gotta repot the plant too, but sometimes that still isn't even enough and throwing the plant out is the safest option. Since that's a pretty nice hybrid, perhaps you should just completely remove it from your other plants and put it in quarantine for a few months, spraying it monthly with imidacloprid or some other pesticide.

I had another thread about it if you remember... Probably was mealies. The plant was in a terrarium touching all the others for like 5 months. None of the others have it, and it hasn't came back on the densi x spec ever since I wiped it with alcohol. I'm not even sure if it will come back. Its like 100% wilted and turning black. ???

i would not get any new plants for a while till your shore these pests did not spread

I know it hasn't spread... Its been with all of the others touching them for over the five months that I've had the plant. Can I reuse the sphagnum? After how long can I safely reuse it once removed from the pot?

Don't take it for granted that you can't see them on the other plants. For all you know they're already in the soil, feeding on the roots, or just reproducing. All the plants in that terrarium should be treated and probably repotted, in my opinion. It's up to you, though. If you think they're safe, you can take the risk.

Never had mealy bug infestation but do know how they look like. Picture is worth a thousand words. Before accepting suggestion for treatment you should definitely post a pic for local pest experts to determine what is the problem.

I dunno about others but I'd never reuse any soil that was potentially contaminated with some pests. Mealy bugs (if indeed that is what you have) also infest root areas so you might not know it but have a zoo underground.

Treatment-wise after determining that it is mealy bugs... systemic insecticide? Imidacloprid?

Not even sure if its mealys... There were little white dots all over the plant. They weren't bugs because they didn't move.

Back on topic... if I cut it back, how long would it take to resprout, knowing that it is in an unhealthy state?

Don't mealy bugs move veeeeeeeery slowly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mealybug

For what its worth, and for the plants sake, don't reuse the soil. Why take the risk? Like others have said, pics are the key to proper pest ID. Without them, we can't really help you.

Cutting it? I'd say no. If a plant is a weakened state, it is best to keep it as is and nurse it back to life, that is if the roots are still existent. Plants survive through tough times by nutrients stored in the stem and roots. If you cut a sick plant, you are denying it those few nutrients it has left. This would be a very last ditch effort to try and save the plant. Just my 2 cents.

Never, ever recycle soil/potting materials, especially if the previous "resident" had health issues and/or died! That is one solid rule you should never consider overlooking, just for the sake of re-using materials!

if you do reuse the soil ,i would microwave it good and hot to kill any bugs or germs

Definitely don't want to reuse the SOIL, but could I reuse the live sphag that is used as a top dressing? If so, how long would I have to let it sit in isolation? Would it not be a good idea to add that to my sphagnum cultures?

Sadly, I have no pics of the pests because they are gone now... ???

If you have a picture of the plant that would be great. Id love to make some suggestions but right now there's no way of telling if I don't have pictures to judge.

It looks a lot worse now, but just so you can get an idea...

256hbuo.jpg

Never, ever recycle soil/potting materials, especially if the previous "resident" had health issues and/or died! That is one solid rule you should never consider overlooking, just for the sake of re-using materials!

Really? Even if the plant is healthy and you want to move into a larger part, you shouldn't use the old soil?

Really? Even if the plant is healthy and you want to move into a larger part, you shouldn't use the old soil?

Well, from my orchid experience, I know that the medium gets worn down and becomes pretty bad so you have to repot yearly... Not sure if its the same with neps since they don't care about minerals/nutrients in the medium.

I toss my old soil into a compost bin to use in the garden next year. That sucker gets hot, so I don't worry about a few bugs. YMMV

I also would suggest leaving the plant alone. I have an amp. that's currently just a brown stick, and it's starting to pop a couple nodes. (Cross your fingers for it, please, and I'll cross mine for your Nep. It's a giant HL amp.)

The last leaf turned black... So cut or throw?

Pineapple: It never hurts to hold onto the plant for a few months and see if it comes back.

Also, you can assume all your plants are infested with the same bugs. I would treat all plants in your greenhouse with a pesticide of some sort, whether natural or chemical, but before doing so check what others have used. I know if you search you will find tons on the subject.

If you do toss the plant out, toss the media with it. You can save the pot but I would bleach if plastic.

Back