What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

few general q's about nepenthes

1. What do lowlanders prefer for lux? I have 10,000 lumens but I see other people giving them more; I thought they didn't like alot of light?

2. Are there any nepenthes species or hybrids that are not very humidity dependent. I.e. can do well in a windowsill or outside in a tray in the southeast usa(when it's not cold)? zone 7 I think. Just seems like too pretty of a plant to live in a terrarium forever.

3. I have a small bical and after a couple months it is finally making what appears to be infant pitchers.
My question is about it's growth stages: I repotted it once after i received it and had to repot it again a few days ago due to a thrip invasion. While there hasn't been crazy growth above ground; I noticed that it has doubled it's root structure in both length and density(ohhh so that is what it has been doing in it's spare time.sneaky.lol).....which is good bc when I first received it the root system was kinda puny. Since it is doing alot of underground work; does that mean I can expect some above ground developments soon or will it keep investing a majority of it's energy in root development until it crowds the pot?

4. Once they get happy; are nepenthes gluttons like their north american relatives? I rcd a pitcher plant a while back and it isn't exactly eye candy but my collection is poor so it is allowed to stay....for the heck of it I decided to fill all of it's pitchers with heavily diluted 30-10-10 to measure the amount of discomfort generated so I could get a sweetspot without experimenting on the pretty ones but to my surprise the glutton loved it and sent up a new pitcher approximately 3-4 inches in height overnight :0o: . Will the nepenthes respond similar or are they more finicky eaters?

I can answer 2: N. alata, sanguinea, x ventrata, x Miranda, and possibly N. truncata will do well in lower humidity areas. Most intermediate neps do well in those conditions.
3. Bical is famous for a massive root system. While you should be seeing growth soon, be ready to start putting it into very large pots.
4. Nepenthes are rarely as gluttonous as American pitchers, but if given a good dose of proper fertilizer, either throuhg pitchers or even soil, or insects to full half of the actual digestion area, they will grow relatively quickly.

Back