What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Briggsiana 'Red'

The first pitcher on this cutting-produced plant, acquired as an un-rooted cutting in September 2011:
briggsiana-red2.jpg

Wow!

Amazing! This makes me wonder what we will get from the seed!

*whistles at the hot body as he walks by*

Is it a lower pitcher or more intermediate?

Is it a lower pitcher or more intermediate?

Well now, that's a good question. This is the first pitcher produced from a cutting of upper growth, and if the behavior of this cutting follows the pattern I am led to believe is the case, then this is an upper pitcher. Upper vines used as cuttings produce upper pitchers. When it produces a basal shoot, it will make lowers.

That is unfortunately not always the case. Ive seen examples of where cuttings from upper vines go straight into lowers or intermediates first before going into uppers. I think that that cutting of yours is producing intermediates first before uppers. Ive recieved two cuttings from ep that were clearly from a vine section of the plant buwent into lowers rather than uppers. Strange?

In any case its a beautiful plant! Im lucky enough to get my lowii x ventricosa to produce a basal for me so pretty soon i will be posting some lowers of the plant. Ive also found it to be true that if the growth point dips below the soil the plant will produce a basal, this has happened to my tobaica x lowii recently.

Boys, boys, boys, looks like she has attitude and will belong to no one, :lol:

Beautiful pic, as always.

Love the coloration! I had no idea there was a third registered cultivar of this grex. Thanks for sharing.

Love the coloration! I had no idea there was a third registered cultivar of this grex. Thanks for sharing.

I doubt this is a registered cultivar, but it is a "recognized" selection that has circulated through collections.

Back