What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help LL nepenthes is in a coma

I bought this mirabilis var echinostoma and in addition to different conditions I transplant shocked it due to repotting it after 10 days due to thrips......It has been nearly a month since then and while it isn't declining; it isn't growing either. I think maybe it has added 1/10 of an inch to it's new leaf in a month. I read that a mirabilis is one of the fastest growing species there is. I know it isn't my conditions bc there is noticeable, daily growth from my raffesania and bicalcarata. Both of them grow like mutants.

I don't think it is dying or it would have tightened up and died already I would assume. Any idea when it plans to start building again? or snap out of it's coma?

Without a picture, all I have to offer is that this might just be what you get for getting bugs and then replanting. Sometimes they just sit for a while. I had a burbidgeae x edwardsiana that did nothing - literally nothing - for a good 9 months. No growth at all. So the fact that it's even growing at all is a good sign.

Just be patient. I just repotted mine and it stopped growing. Like Thez says just be patient, my plant seems to grow in spurts, like it'll go a month or two with nothing happening and then all of a sudden it'll put out like 3 leaves all with pitchers then stop again. so yea just wait it out.

i guess it isn't dying; what do you think?

ill post a pic but it isn't pretty:
000_0052.jpg

UPDATE:

it has awakened!

there has been noticeable growth over the last 2 days and it seems to be developing well...not quite up to the pace of the bical and nowhere near the pace of the raffesania but I suspect it is just getting warmed up. I think the real test will be once it unfurls a couple new leaves that are not damaged.

First I will have a visual indication of the plant's overall condition once the new leaves unfurl.

Second I suspect that since it has decided to do something that it has finally accepted the new conditions.

Third I suspect that with a couple new, healthy leaves that hopefully it's metabolism will kick back into crazy so this little beastie will finally claim it's heritage as a mirabilis and show me some real growth....with expectation of passing the bical and perhaps the raffesania.

Fourth I really hope that this new growth is in fact a new leaf and not a flower. I don't need no stinking flowers! :evil:

I will post a pic soon.

N. mirabilis in a wee terrarium.....you better hope (and pray) that it doesn't actually achieve its maximum growth rate! LOL

LOL indeed. eh ill just build a bigger one. I suspect the raffesania will need it before the others; it's rate of growth is fairly exponential. I plan to build a temporary grow chamber in about 30 days; I may maintain the terrarium for either baby nepenthes or perhaps I will transfer my sundews into it. Cross that bridge when I get there. Maximum growth? Doubt it....probably needs to be in the jungle to do that I imagine(probably needs more healthy leaves too). I have the room to accommodate additional infrastructure but really want to get a feel for what works and what doesn't before filling a hothouse up with lowlanders. 3-5 nepenthes to maintain...not too bad....20+ to maintain....little more work especially when one has only been growing for a couple months.

mverecovery.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE: it's rate of growth seems to be increasing since that new leaf is emerging from the leaf it is working on MUCH sooner than the leaf before it....not quite to the level of the other 2 plants I have but still 10x better than it was....seems to be in official recovery and I think it will be back to normal after making 2-3 new leaves. Also appears that this leaf it is making will bear me my first pitcher on this plant as well :)

102_0024.jpg

update:

I guess that one leaf was a "transitionary leaf" or something. I do not think it will ever uncurl. The first new leaf on my watch is pretty much done. It looks different than it's predecessors. It is shorter, skinnier, greener and fuzzier as I have observed tiny water droplets adhering to it and revealing the tiny hairs. I didn't think to check thickness and consistency. Not sure if this is a result of an adaptation to it's new home; I am giving it quite a bit more light, tiny bit more heat and quite a bit more humidity....watering schedule seems to be indistinguishable from it's previous home. Or it could be the plant's attempt to just rush something out to aid in it's ongoing recovery. It will be interesting to see if the pitcher on the end will be properly formed or not. Thoughts?

The plant's rate of growth seems to have steadied out for the moment. In my limited experience it seems acceptable for a lowlander but maybe on the low end for a mirabilis. I still hold out hope that once the plant's immune system gets better and it produces a couple more leaves that it's rate of growth will return to normal. Either way I am optimistic about this plant's future at this juncture.

102_0037.jpg

Last edited:
update:

plant is doing well other than a few pest. rate of growth has started to vastly increase to almost a tick-tock cycle in regards to how fast it spits out new leaves. The new leaves are smaller, greener and closer together than the older ones; not sure why that is. If all goes well I anticipate there only being one update left. thx for the troubleshooting advice everyone.

Last edited:
update:
The new leaves are smaller, greener and closer together than the older ones; not sure why that is..

Although I don't grow lowlanders, I do grow a lot of Nepenthes, and "smaller, greener and closer together" isn't something you like to see: it usually spells trouble, especially if it is a continuing trend. I suggest you post your growing conditions for review and ask another lowland grower to advise you.

not sure if it is the case here but I was assuming it was a good thing but my experience is limited so I didn't put it out there. Article I read suggest it is an adjustment to more intense light which makes sense since I am giving them their first taste of diffused sunlight in addition to the florescents. Perhaps I may decrease the florescent photoperiod to "ease them in" a little easier.

Back