What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found a worm in nepenthes pot

Today, as I was looking over my neps, I saw a worm wriggling in the open media. I thought to myself... how can that be? I've always been careful to use all new medium and new pots when transplanting my neps and I always use RO water from the store... then it hit me: I've seen snails on my plants. They usually go after the sugary secretions but don't damage the leaves or pitchers. At most they leave a slime trail which easily washes away with water. Could THEY be the carriers for the worms? Has anyone experienced this?

Is it a caterpillar type worm, or a worm worm?
And the pot was probably up on the table, right?
How in the dilly does it get into a pot up off the floor?!?!? Mind boggling..

I'd also be curious to hear someone's opinion on this, since I've also found an earthworm or two in my pots after repotting.

Mass: Earthworm, nightcrawler

"As the worm slips out, the ends of the cocoon seal to form a vaguely lemon-shaped incubator (cocoon) in which the embryonic worms develop. They emerge as small, but fully formed earthworms"

so maybe worm eggs are mixed into some LFS or peat that's being sold commercially? ???

Yeah....I have this happen often, mostly with what are known as redworms....the kind used for composting...some get in from outside...and others...I have no idea.

interesting....i too had wondered how an earth worm had gotten into my terrarium a few weeks back.

I have found them three times in my gravel trays used for windowsill nep growing

Sorry, they're typically red worms like Exo said, not earthworms.

Good to know... Overall, I don't mind them in my garden, as a matter of fact, they're welcome there. I just don't want them breaking down the medium for the neps.

I'd also be curious to hear someone's opinion on this, since I've also found an earthworm or two in my pots after repotting.

Likewise!

Back