What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help please

• Thread starter B0B
  • Start date
Hello everyone I was wondering my window faces NW. It receives indirect light all day well at least until the sun goes down I was wanting to know if that would be sufficient enough light for my neps thanks in advance for any info.

I've found that Nepenthes love South-facing windows with a couple hours of direct and bright indirect light the rest of the day.

I doubt they'd be happy or thrive there but they will probably survive, probably. They'd likely not pitcher at all, Nepenthes really do love light. Even the so called "low light" ones do better with more light.

I have crummy window directions too west and east (either one is dark most of the day) so I have to grow under lights. I use T5 High Output fixtures from the online hydro shop.

^ agreed. I have a 10,000 lumens t5ho system for my Lowlanders and that seems to be the sweet spot for them. If Lowlanders need that much light then the highlanders probably need much more i presume...p.s. if you plan on giving them alot more light they will probably need to be acclimated to it in steps.

Ok thanks guys I have a T5ho that is what I had them under last winter. Spring summer they went outside in greenhouse. I guess its back under the lights for them just was hoping I didn't have to move stuff around to make room being lazy I guess thanks again for all the info I needed it as I have never grown one in a windowsill.

not sure of your space limits but try experimenting with both partial sun and t5 lights.....start off with a diffuser over the window and gradually remove it in 2 week increments. The plants should enjoy the multi-spectrum radiation. a little sunburn shouldn't hurt them(less than 50% of the total foliage). If you look at the pictures of them in the wild they almost always have it(then again I mostly look at lowlanders. lol). perhaps someone with more experience than me on highlanders can add to my opinion of correct any flaws in it.

I would not need a diffuser in the window as it only gets indirect light and swords said they probably would hate it being as they will not ever receive direct sunlight not even for an hour. So with that I just put them back on the grow rack and got new bulbs they seem happy , but I'm sure not as happy as they were considering they got at least 4-6 hours sunlight and the rest of the day shaded. My plants are pretty much hardened off due to me growing them outside since spring they definitely got sunburned at first but now they have nice green growth and are producing pitchers the only one that seemed drastically affected by intense light is the ramispina its leaves look healthy but are a dark red with some green in it very different from when I received it, but its pitchering so I'm sure its just a tan. Only reason why i don't want to experiment with them in the window because they won't get any direct light and I'd hate to lose them considering I have no other copies and they are not big enough too make clones I'd rather play it safe so they are on the shelf under my lights.

Back