What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this thing?!

Hellooooo everybody! So, my N. fusca has this bizarre growth or something right below the actual growth point. I have no clue what it is, if it's a bad thing or a good thing, or anything at all about it, hope someone could inform me. Here it is:

2012-08-27_16-04-56_949-1.jpg

2012-08-27_16-07-24_8.jpg

2012-08-27_16-09-25_740.jpg

Any ideas what this is...? Thanks a lot :)

Not sure of the official name for this structure but, all my maximas and several others have it at every node. Totally normal.

your fusca needs to read whats going on down there :-))

It's a node growth. Or the start of a side shoot.. same thing.

It's a node growth. Or the start of a side shoot.. same thing.

I have plants with these at every node and side shoots never develop from them.

Last edited:
The dormant nodes don't always produce new shoots because they are dormant until something happens to activate them..

These are "backup" vegetative nodes that become activated if the growing tip is damaged, and the flow of auxin from the meristem is interrupted.

yep, thats a dormant node alright. Some are easily viewable on plants like Veitchii but usually they're slim with the stem so to speak. I find they tend to activate when the main vine is hanging below the root level or if the growth point was damaged.

Awesome thank you so much everybody, that makes a lot of sense. It's so interesting that the plant makes these! Hopefully there will never be an accident requiring these to activate though :D

your fusca needs to read whats going on down there :-))

Ahahaha my parents made me read that when I was like 13 or 14, the cover is unforgettable. As soon as my fusca reaches that age, I'll be certain to read it to him too :D

Back