What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got my GH!!!

Dayyyuuummm guurlll, that's NAICE!! I wish I had the money for that. :(

Dayyyuuummm guurlll, that's NAICE!! I wish I had the money for that. :(
Ow no you didn'ttttttttttttttt, I'm a set it up and buy that " stupid nepenthes" from you. LOL Thank you! :)

Ow no you didn'ttttttttttttttt, I'm a set it up and buy that " stupid nepenthes" from you. LOL Thank you! :)

Hehe, the stupid one isn't for sale anymore because it made a leaf like three times to size of the previous. When from about .75" leaves to about .5" leaves when I started coffee, and now there's like a 1.5" leaf... The jump is amazing. And it's pitching well. If that changes I'll let you know, if it makes basals I'll sell those because they'll probably be stupid. :p

So basically you could set up that 1000psi fogger to be anything from the extreme 1st video all the way down to the 2nd. The first was just way too much water and water sitting on plants constantly is bad (which is why I got rid of the aquafogger... the humidistat would call for more water, but the plants were still drenched from it before).

what, you didn't want a waterfall in your GH? :lol:
Water your plants and take a shower all at the same time.

ultra-fine mist for cooling or adding humidity needs to be just that a mist. If things are getting wet air getting saturated with water then no cooling from evaporation.

Exactly Mach! That's what I mean about long term use of fogging for cooling. Once the air is too humid, the cooling effect won't happen. So, would depend on how much cooling is needed, how much of the air is transferred with outside air, how much humidity the AC pulls from the air, etc.

Great greenhouse, Favian. Can't wait to see it filled to the brim in the months to come.

Ooh, that's a nice greenhouse... Makes my little terrariums look pretty small :D Also looking forward to seeing it all filled up!

For fogging, a small waterfall would actually do the trick. Wouldn't look bad either.
Are you going for ascetics or functionality?

Thr hydrofogger has the same thick fog effect and nothing humidified like it

Thank you all for the great compliments! I greatly appreciate it :) In the beginning I wanted a waterfall so I could bathe in just like Travis said, but I know I'm going to fill it up with neps and I want to maximize all the space l0l. I think fog inside a GH is very aesthetically pleasing to the eye plus beneficial to the nepenthes,(asid61, this would mean I'd like both) so I'm doing the research and taking every opinion and advise from you guys into consideration. I've been putting aside for this GH & I need to keep saving for the rest of the components before I can go shopping on Black Friday for neps LOL. I work full time for a College, I own my own business, & go to school par time. Therefore, I'm cranky most of the times & nepenthes is what relaxes me & I'd would like to offer them the best growing conditions. God this turned into a paragraph :0o: I need a coke

Haha im a full time student in a bsc course so lots of calculus and physics, neps help me to relax too.

Haha im a full time student in a bsc course so lots of calculus and physics, neps help me to relax too.

hehehehe* So you definitely know How I feel :D

Congrats on the new GH! It will sure come useful once your Nepenthes start vining everywhere lol. What do you plan to fill it with? Higlanders, Lowlanders, grex hybrids? The first thing I'd recommend beginning to invest in would be two thermostats to control the heating and cooling factors. I never really found a humidistat useful, but it depends on what your growing in there. The heating aspect is probably the simplest since all you need is a little electric heater since it's not that much air your heating. If you need I'll try and find the link to mine ;) .

Hello Lance! & Thank you* I currently own 12 nepenthes most are intermedia, few highlanders hybrids. I would like to grow those in the GH. My GH gets morning sun from 9 to 11:30 and its on full shade till around 4PM till sundown. it's warm inside but not hot since it doesn't get the afternoon sun. My main concern is just to keep it humid during the heat of day. I will add a Big AC for night temps. Yes Link! Link!

Favian,
Humidity control is difficult to achieve in a small space, but there are some easy fixes. The simplest tool is to attach a fogging nozzle on the end of a garden hose and aim it so that it doesn't drench plants directly. (IE: under a bench or aimed at an end wall, etc) See: http://www.amazon.com/Dramm-12344-Heavy-Duty-Fogg-It-Nozzle/dp/B000VYGDL0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1348064546&sr=8-9&keywords=dramm+nozzle

For my greenhouse, I use a rather expensive "fogging fan" which is an electric fan with a water reservoir (hooked up to my RO water supply) that is essentially a giant atomizer: water is fed into the fan blades and a fine mist is delivered. It connects to a humidistat, so it comes on when RH falls below 75% or so. There are many ways to resolve the issue, but the most effective technologies will require some cash outlay. I highly recommend investing in the right technology, and doing it properly!

Good luck, and have fun!
Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the great information. I found this on Grainger, would this suffice and help with my 8x10? http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/AURAMIST-Air-Circulator-13F719?Pid=search would I need two of them? I'm only putting this link as I have an account with them so I can just pick this up easily lol. if this works I'm thinking I can hook them to the RO unit and connect it to a humidistat like you mentioned in your set up. humidity here in FL isn't a problem but heat is, and from what I've read here if the temperatures are high then the humidity should be as well for the plants to thrive.

PS your new GH is so kickass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Favian

Definitely know how you feel.

Those misting fans are schweet!! Can't wait until I need to start shopping for one.

Back