What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sickly Judith Finn

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
I learned my lesson about eBay orders... The plant was just $7.50 though and it is pretty big, but it arrived in bad shape. Browning leaves that were curled, no pitchers, etc. So it has put out a new leaf or two per growth point (3 growth points) which are all green, but still curled. I know I can get it back into good health, but my question is why are there like no tendrils on the leaves, even the new ones? These are maybe 8" or more leaves with 1/4" tendrils that don't grow, and it was that way for every previous leaf too. No extended tendrils at all. What could be the problem? ???

Supposedly it is extremely difficult to get Judith Finn to pitcher. I have no clue why, just heard that from some people. Could explain the small tendrils

Supposedly it is extremely difficult to get Judith Finn to pitcher. I have no clue why, just heard that from some people. Could explain the small tendrils

Really? Wow... So how do I get it to pitcher lol? :crazy:

Cross your fingers and sprinkle pixie dust on it. I have no clue :lol:

Cross your fingers and sprinkle pixie dust on it. I have no clue :lol:

I'll buy some from the dealers in the neighborhood and sprinkle it in the medium. Would sprinkle it in the pitchers, but they have none, so... ???

It had one pitcher on it when I received it, but it was like 100 leaves back and dry as a bone... So it must have been in good care until recently, then sold on eBay... Anyone know how to get it to pitcher? I will receive my new swamp cooler this week and hopefully set it up by the end of the weekend and see if that will do the trick... ???

Mine seem to not pitcher when I leave them too dry. So it seems to me they like to be pretty moist... for a Nepenthes. Same experience with one I sent off to a friend, it didn't pitcher at all. Once I started him up on the tray system of watering he started getting pitchers.
Andrew

Mine seem to not pitcher when I leave them too dry. So it seems to me they like to be pretty moist... for a Nepenthes. Same experience with one I sent off to a friend, it didn't pitcher at all. Once I started him up on the tray system of watering he started getting pitchers.
Andrew

Hm... I keep all of my Nepenthes wet, not just moist. I have low humidity during the day (as of now, but not until I get my new swamp cooler this Friday) and it dries up the sphag, so I had to wet it maybe two or three times a day and it all drains into the medium. Judith has been very wet because I just started a culture of sphag on top of the medium... :(

Thanks for the reply! :)

some of my plants that were recieved in less than ideal condition took months to inflate their first pitchers.... you may just have to wait it out as the plant recovers and gets back to its happy place :p

Low humidity is THE single most important aspect of Nepenthes culture for many species (and hybrids) in terms of getting regular, full-sized pitchers. Dry air = no pitchering. I have found a couple of my N. spathulata hybrids are very reluctant to pitcher, even under ideal conditions. (N. Judith Finn is a spathulata hybrid) For me, the N. spathulata X boschiana grex pitchers on only one in every three tendrils. I doubt that this reluctance has anything to do with my climate conditions, its just a genetic thing.

I don't (and won't) grow Judith Finn for this reason, and because I find it one of the least interesting of the spathulata hybrids.

Low humidity is THE single most important aspect of Nepenthes culture for many species (and hybrids) in terms of getting regular, full-sized pitchers. Dry air = no pitchering. I have found a couple of my N. spathulata hybrids are very reluctant to pitcher, even under ideal conditions. (N. Judith Finn is a spathulata hybrid) For me, the N. spathulata X boschiana grex pitchers on only one in every three tendrils. I doubt that this reluctance has anything to do with my climate conditions, its just a genetic thing.

I don't (and won't) grow Judith Finn for this reason, and because I find it one of the least interesting of the spathulata hybrids.

We'll see how the swamp cooler does. After all, you recommended it and it was rather expensive, so it should be good. Hopefully that will get daytime humidity to 70% during the day and it is naturally about 90% at night.

You're right, it probably is one of the worst spathulata hybrids, but I really like it because I have nothing that is green and I love the dark peristome. I really like my spath x (spath x bosch) and it hasn't given me any problems.

The Judith Finn I got from Andrew has been pitchering like crazy pretty much since I got it several months ago. I guess it likes my grow rack conditions.

i kept one for a couple years. it never put out a pitcher but it got HUGE! leaves nearly a foot long vine more than three feet long. it even flowered once- very large spike. i got tired of it and gave it to a friend that put put it out of its misery with poor conditions. i think this plant should be destroyed on sight.

i kept one for a couple years. it never put out a pitcher but it got HUGE! leaves nearly a foot long vine more than three feet long. it even flowered once- very large spike. i got tired of it and gave it to a friend that put put it out of its misery with poor conditions. i think this plant should be destroyed on sight.

LOL that's so jank. It must have been genetically retarded. :jester:

If it doesn't pitcher after a few months with the new swamp cooler, I can take a lighter to it... Or just sell it on eBay as "RARE Pitcher Plant Hybrid LARGE" and price it at $15 plus $15 shipping. ;)

If you hate the plant so much for failing to adapt to your conditions, why not give it to someone just starting out who would appreciate it?

From what I've seen it prefers lowland conditions.

If you hate the plant so much for failing to adapt to your conditions, why not give it to someone just starting out who would appreciate it?

Don't hate it, just kinda annoying at how crappily it is doing, and then I learn that it may never pitcher.

From what I've seen it prefers lowland conditions.

It will get intermediate nighttime temperatures and lowland daytime temperatures in the summer. :p

Judith Finn prefers lowland conditions? I better see what are the plants that make up Judith Finn. I just thought because it contains spathulata.......well, I thought int/high type conditions generally speaking but lowland is a surprise. Perhaps some of the plants....especially if from seeds?

N. spathulata x veitchii. We have one at Meadowview in the lowland greenhouse and it pitchers consistently.

N. spathulata x veitchii. We have one at Meadowview in the lowland greenhouse and it pitchers consistently.

Blehh, if I have the time I'll just sell it. :headwall:

never mind.

Last edited:
Back