What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General question

Well, as the seasons begin to change, I am noticing that the window I moved my Miranda into isn't getting as much light as it did when I moved him there. And as such I have noticed a big slow down in growth on the plant that didn't flower( the one that did it blocking some extra light from the other one and is still going strong). It seems to have been "stuck" if you will, for a couple of weeks now after exploding with new growth when I moved him to this spot. So my question for you all, is he okay, is this slow down due to season change leading to less sunlight, or would you attribute it more so to shock from being moved? He has a decent amount of basal growth, maybe 3 new shoots, all of his leaves look healthy, the spot he was in before getting too big led to the leaves on the vining stem turning a lovely shade of red, and the leaves on the basal shoots are a deep green. No signs of wilting. Just really slow to keep growing like he was for a few months. I can get some picture later, just curious about if you Gus attributed the slowdown to less light, season change, getting moved to a different spot, etc. Many thanks :grin:

Last edited:
As the seasons change, it's expected for Nepenthes to slow down some, occasionally a lot, especially if there's less and less light (I have the reverse, more light in my window in winter, even if I'm just north of you). If the basals are growing while the main vine isn't, that could also be part of it: the basals taking all of the energy from the plant. Also, if the color of the leaves was worrying you, red is an expected color for Miranda.

I figured that red was allright, but never hurts to ask. I am still fairly new to this, only been at it for a year. it is slightly frusturating that the only window in my apartment that i can put my plants in faces east-ish, and i just recently realized that the shade from the rest of my apartment building blocks light from hitting my plants in the fall and winter.

I only get sunlight in winter as the best window i have is south facing, with a huge overhang, so I've found the best solution to be using artificial light. But yeah, in any case, it's expected for in most other cases the plants to slow down in winter.

Back