What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes edwardsiana

@flycatchers: yes they are. they are from a breeding pair of edwardsianas here in the States.

I thought it was from seed from tambuyukon?

I've been curious about the origin of these, but never bothered to ask Rob. Have either of you heard this first-hand from the source?

@heli: the parents could have came from there. it would make sense to keep the location data if they both did. directly from tambuyukon? if so, seed was acquired very far back. nothing in the past 2 years that i know off, but then i dont follow edwardsiana news religiously. maybe you know more about this than i do. but my impression was that these were seed grown eddies that were made in cultivation from a breeding pair.

He said in an email that they are tambuyukon locality seed raised. I kind of assumed that they were wild collected because there are almost no adult specimens, that being said I remember seeing a pic in a news article of an adult plant that he has.

Oh, I was wondering about potting soil/compost. Live sphag + charcoal or ??

In 2004, professional horticulturist Robert Sacilotto wrote a summary of measured tolerances of highland Nepenthes species, based on experiments conducted between 1996 and 2001. Out of all of the studied species, N. edwardsiana proved to be the most challenging. Cotyledon-stage seedlings showed a 100% mortality rate when exposed to the following conditions: relative humidity constantly over 90%, water droplets present on the leaves, soil conductivity over 45 microsiemens, and soil pH above 6. However, several plants grew well in a substrate consisting of 50% perlite, 30% Sphagnum moss, 10% peat moss chunks, and 10% fir bark. A top dressing of live Sphagnum was found to provide a good anchoring point for developing roots. Humidity levels of 65 to 85% appeared to be optimal, although more mature plants over 1 year old were able to tolerate exposure to relative humidity in the range of 90 to 99% for up to three days. The highest growth rate was exhibited by plants that experienced warm days, with temperatures of 21 to 29 °C (70 to 84 °F), and cool nights, with temperatures of 13 to 16 °C (55 to 61 °F). The seedlings grew very slowly during the first 8 months, but their growth rate increased significantly after they reached approximately 2 cm in diameter. The plants were grown under High Pressure Sodium lamps. Optimal light intensity seemed to be in the region of 7500-9100 lx (700-850 fc). Soil with a pH of 4.8 to 5.4 and conductivity of less than 24 microsiemens produced the best results. Dried fruit fly larvae of the species Drosophila melanogaster were fed to the plants once their pitchers reached around 3 mm in height. As the pitchers increased in size, they were fed with ants (Acanthomyops sp.).

Knowing Rob, he probably does have at least 2 adult N. edwardsiana specimens. He's very secretive, so no one will ever know exactly what he has.

I can't believe I'm getting one!

_MG_7455.jpg

That's Rob with an eddie. I would not put it past him that he has more hidden somewhere.

That's a tiny pot for such a large plant! I know he has a bigger one than that.

a friend informed me that these are wild eddies in the sense that the seeds were taken from the wild. forget what i said. :p

Another quick update on my eddie to tease the lucky few who are impatiently waiting for their's in Spring. Thanks to pebes releasing one of his spots, I made the cut to get another one. :grin:

It's growing pretty fast for a highlander at a steady pace of almost a leaf per month and starting to jump in leaf size.

image_zps9807e4d8.jpg

image_zps496f98b1.jpg

image_zps17924f64.jpg

Last edited:
oh baby that thing has some teeth :D

i cant freakin wait for mine to come in april. :boogie:

so did you already have one or is this one from pebes that he sent you? didnt realize any had shipped out!!!

Not only are the pitchers incredible nice, the leaves are also gorgeous! The whole plant looks wonderful, great job Don.

Thanks, Sundrew!

myles: I'm impatiently waiting for the other eddie just like you. This plant has been in my possession for the past year.

twoooooo eddies? i think my head just exploded :lol:

Very nice.
And yeah.. patiently waiting impatiently.

what a fantastic looking nep,and the pitchers get their own little cushions too,colour is grrreat

Wow! That plant couldn't be more healthy! The color of the laves and pitchers shows that's you are doing a great job!

The lid just popped on the newest pitcher and starting to color up.
image_zps3cf0c6e5.jpg

Looked like this about a week ago...
image_zps22bd371a.jpg

Back