What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

trichoderma on nepenthes

That's very strange, because of the many growers I've spoken to who use Trichoderma, it's Cephalotus that seems to respond best.

Ive had only good results using the Trichoderma from Ampac on Cephalotus, Heliamphora, Nepenthes and the few Drosera I have. I have also been using it on my orchids with good results (Dracula and Masdevallia).

Im not known for my neps, but I do have a few...
I have applied a Trichoderma drench on all my CP's once a month (including neps) for many years now...
David (Bella) does his twice monthly, but dont quote me on that...

product: ampacbiotech

I have used the ampacbiotech product on Nepenthes and Heliamphora for some time, though have discontinued its use with the Nepenthes, since I have seen little benefit -- not so the case with the others . . .

The symptoms were the same between Sarracenia and Cephalotus. The flowable Ampac product was used to "inoculate" the pots using the concentrations and amount recommended in the Ampac literature. In some cases the granular product was added to the fresh potting mix of newly acquired or repotted divisions - again in accordance to the literature.

Symptoms were a white/beige fuzz growing on the hoods and pitcher bodies. When wiped away with a damp cloth (with either plain water, alcohol solution, hydrogen peroxide solution or neem oil solution) red patches or bruises were present where the patch of fuzz was. If left untreated on the Cephalotus the entire pitcher would be covered in fuzz and would shrivel away. Treatment with Neem oil or a sulfur based fungicide would alleviate the problem from 1-4 weeks and then the patches would start appearing, on new pitchers or on the old bruises. I used Cleary's fungicide to clear the infection up on both Genus. After a season and a half free of any further occurrences of this "fuzz" I again tried inoculating several pots of Sarracenia with the flowable product. The "fuzz" returned a few weeks later. This time Cleary's no longer seemed effective and I treated all my Sarracenia with tebucanozole (Bayer Advanced Disease Control). So far there have been no recurrences of the infection. The Cephalotus and other Sarracenia that were not reinoculated did not develop the symptoms - I treated them with the fungicides regardless.

Ok this is already in south africa so there is no shipping but i want to specifically know the effects on nepenthes. Ive read m.any beneficial stories and a few not so much. But from what i read it depend on the trichoderma used. I want to try it as a preventative measure against rot and root rot i also want to try it on my cephs

I would think that if you are repeatedly dealing with loss of roots on Nepenthes, then there is a problem with cultural conditions that needs to be addressed, not "fixed" with bioremedies and/or fungicides.

i cant speak for all but i use the tricho strictly as a preventative not to treat a chronic root rot problem.

Oh forgot to mention they also advertise trichoderma to prevent botrytis on seedlings. They have very nice heated and unheated propagators and i was wondering if this trichoderma and the propagators could be useful for germinating nep seeds, i do have problems with botrytis. What do you guys think? There is a link to the website and products below please have a look and comment

http://www.hortishop.co.za/products/

I want to use it as a preventative on other plants especially new plants not as a treatment. It seems my mix holds too much water and the pots i used are crappy, not enough drainage so i water less regularly and changed many pots to well draining pots. But lowii is a constant problem they just keep rotting up in our mixes so i will plant the im pure perlite and try that.

Oh forgot to mention they also advertise trichoderma to prevent botrytis on seedlings. They have very nice heated and unheated propagators and i was wondering if this trichoderma and the propagators could be useful for germinating nep seeds, i do have problems with botrytis. What do you guys think? There is a link to the website and products below please have a look and comment

http://www.hortishop.co.za/products/

I have found trichoderma to be effective in the prevention of Botrytis in seedlings -- Nepenthes, Heliamphora, etc. In general, i mixed the granular form in with the moistened compost prior to sowing the seed; though I have never applied anything to the seedlings themselves . . .

Thanx, i think ill try it then

Back