What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

n. x bloody mary cultivation

hey guys, can this plant grow as a highlander? Does anyone have pics of a large specimen?

I haven't grown this before but I don't think it can grow in Highland conditions. Considering that it's male parent is a ultra-lowland ampullaria with an intermediate Ventricosa would make it respectively lowlander.

Just found another thread with ampullaria x ventricosa and rob himself said that it grows equally well in both highland and lowland conditions. Given this information does anyone think i would be able to grow it as a highlander?

Just found another thread with ampullaria x ventricosa and rob himself said that it grows equally well in both highland and lowland conditions. Given this information does anyone think i would be able to grow it as a highlander?

Sounds like you answered your own question...

I grow N. 'Singapore Garden Tech' which is an amp x vent cross and it does well in highland conditions.

I live at 3500 feet elevation. Year round climate and seasons very similar to Cape Town, ZA. So I have natural highland conditions most of the year, even all summer long. I have a vent x amp hybrid and I doubted it would do well. However, it is dong just fine growing outside under shade. I don't have the particular hybrids you are discussing but would guess that the mixture of a HL/Intermediate with a LL species will give it a wide tolerance for growing conditions.

DSC_00020001_23.jpg

Should be just fine in highland intermediate IME. My ampullarias were fine in my highland greenhouse with 50s at night and 70s-80s during the day for about two weeks.

I have a lowland-ultralowland cross, insignis x merrilliana, which grows happily in my highland greenhouse with no growth stunting at all due to hybrid vigor. Since amp and ventricosa are both adaptable, the hybrid of the two should be good to go in highland intermediate conditions.

That being said, it will grow faster and be happier in warmer conditions, but if you cannot provide that whatsoever and you really want to plant, get one and try it out. In my experience, it should be fine.

Back