What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much water?

Not enough? Or something else? Not sure whats going on with this guy but he hasn't been too happy the last few days. The leaves are looking limp, but the soil has been kept moist. I noticed today that the growing tip is starting to darken and the leaves are a little blotchy as well. I'm thinking he might like things a little drier, but wanted a second opinion incase I'm missing something important, like disease symptoms.

Sorry for the bad pictures, for someone reason my phone wouldn't focus.
141AAF11-E081-41CB-881B-0C876432087E-11776-00000BFA34FED68F.jpg

0476105F-164F-477B-AB0E-247C9164359F-11776-00000BFA211F7307.jpg

This is what he looked like a couple of weeks ago
40E8DF80-8E65-404C-8CAF-2C2C0701A7A5-11776-00000BFB959D5DAA.jpg

yes, i would keep it somewhat drier. how are you watering it? are you using the tray method? is that the original media in the pot? it seems to be very dense, which means it is compacted--the roots prefer to be in an airy yet moist media.

I've been watering everything just by hand, but lately its been raining a lot so they've been getting a more water than usual and less sun. The others are very happy with the rain, but this guy, not so much. Maybe I'll sit it under a cover it to prevent it from getting too much rain for now.

I got it bare root and potted it about a month and a half ago. Its in peat, sphag, and large size perlite and some coco. I know it looks compacted in the picture but its still light and airy, so I don't think its the soil.

I'll try the less water and see if theres any improvements. Thanks for the reply! :-D

Remove the peat, peat and highlanders dont mix

To me, having the tip of the top sprout doesn't mean too much water,
however it does seem to be suffering a bit of transplant shock.
That is where the roots (mostly tips & root hairs) are damaged enough to where the plant can't support itself,
as the roots can't absorb enough water to keep it growing well.

I would give it time, and perhaps keep the humidity up a bit (if it is low),
although with the rain you mentioned, that should help.
If it were a case of too much water, I would assume seeing different symptoms.

It is hard to know for sure, when we all have different conditions
& seeing a pic of a plant with a shriveling tip could be caused by many different things.
Seeing that you only had the plant a few weeks, I believe it is simply a case of it adjusting to new conditions,
after which it should bounce back.

Thank you guys for all the tips. I will post an update to show how its doing in a week or so. Hopefully a good report :)

Back