What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collecting, Storing and Shipping Nepenthes Pollen

I have a male Nepenthes flowering and Im planning to collect the pollen and ship some off to another grower. This is my first time collecting Nepenthes pollen. Ive done some reading and seems there are a few different methods that people find successful, but would like to hear from some people here who have had success with collecting, storing and/or shipping Nepenthes pollen.

Anyone care to share their experiences?

Andrew

In the past, I have collected the pollen in filter or wax paper envelopes and placed them in bottles, along with a pouch or two of desiccant gel. They are stored at room temperature for several hours while moisture is removed from the pollen; and the bottle can be later refrigerated or frozen successfully for several months . . .

I would always collect pollen from the flowers as close to when they opened as I could, sotre it in wax paper packets, and place them in a dry drawer in the fridge immediately. As BigBella said, it'll store cold for months.

Thanks guys. When collecting the pollen do you take the entire flower and store it, or knock some off onto aluminum foil and then into the wax paper packet?

Thanks guys. When collecting the pollen do you take the entire flower and store it, or knock some off onto aluminum foil and then into the wax paper packet?

Either; I have done both; though it is a bit more difficult to ensure that the pollen remains dry within a flower . . .

That was my thinking as well. Thanks BigBella!

I just wait for the flowers to ripen then just cut it off onto a piece of paper and put it in the fridge

I just wait for the flowers to ripen then just cut it off onto a piece of paper and put it in the fridge
As Bella noted above, keeping the flower with the pollen also keeps the moisture with the pollen and risks early spoilage.

An extreme example of this was when someone shipped me an entire male flower wrapped in aluminum foil. What I received was a gelatinous, moldy mess. I was able to locate a few tiny scraps of pollen on the edges of the foil. Although the pollinated female pod ripened and produced seed, the seed was not viable.

Interesting, thanks Ron. I will be collecting the pollen on aluminum foil then drying it. Will be looking for silica gel today.

Thanks again guys.

Ah but you see mould only happens in enclosed spaces the paper i have never gets closed. I have never ever had a case of mould on pollen i collected and all the pollen was still viable long after.

Trust me just cut a piece of paper into a square or use the entire paper fold it two times in the middle and just cut the pollen heads off and put them in the middle. Then just put it straight into the fridge and leave it open. Leave it untill ypu want to use or send it, the pollen wont get mould or spoil

Back