User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes naga ? Post and compare your plants here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mato: the pigmentation of yours is almost the opposite end of the spectrum compared to mine. My seedlings is one of the blackest pitchers I have seen, and they have an almost metallic sheen to them. Not even the slightest hint of the operculum appendage, though. Perhaps in time. I think there is good reason to think hybridization may have had a role in these seedlings genesis. Case in point, Dean ****** N. inermis seedlings: so far it appears every one of them is a hybrid with (likely) N. talangensis.

Moving on, here are some pics of the largest (3") pitcher of my (supposed) N. naga:
    [IMG]http://**************************************/2013/01/naga-detail.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://**************************************/2013/01/naga.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://**************************************/2013/01/naga-detail2.jpg[/IMG]

I received my seedling back in early September, 2012, so I have had it not quite five months. It has doubled in size (both diameter of the rosette and the pitcher size) in that time. I would qualify this as a very vigorous seedling.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics Paul, beautiful plant. Do you have any pics of the plant itself ?

Here are the peltate leaves on mine. This becomes more prominent with each new leaf. This was barely noticable on the younger leaves and completely overlooked.

Here's a new pitcher it's working on. It should be about 1/4 to 1/3 bigger than the previous one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mat, I noticed that the ala on yours seems very reduced compared to the other 2 plants. I wonder if this is just natural variation or an indication of hybridization......

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to find out where they were obtained. My seeds didn't do anything.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried growing N.naga from seed on 4 different occasions. All failed. I know it isn't my tecniques, I've got Nepenthes germination down solid. I think the first batches were viable fresh seeds and all the subsequent seeds are old, dead leftovers from the initial collection.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definately need to pick your seed germination brain then.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    Mat, I noticed that the ala on yours seems very reduced compared to the other 2 plants. I wonder if this is just natural variation or an indication of hybridization......
    That's one of the first things I noticed when I saw your pics, however, my plant isn't a great example because of its reluctance to grow or produce anything. I feel like there needs to be another pitcher to really compare it with.

Also, it's good to see that your plant is showing the peltate leaves as it increases in size. Perhaps this - and maybe the other features - will simply show up as the plants become larger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mat, maybe your plant had a rough time in shipping or just isn't settling in well yet. The stress may have just stopped it in it's tracks imparing any further development. Hopefully it will kick out a new pitcher soon.

That's what I'm thinking, these plants just seem to need to come of age, so to speak. The appendage and peltate leaves become more prominent with each pitcher, I'm hoping that the lid will start showing it's frilly characteristics soon.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast