User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes naga ? Post and compare your plants here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are going to hate me. The last pitcher on mine was less than an inch tall and it's already starting to develop the appendage! I'll get pics up soon. The alas also have some extremely long filaments.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    Great pics Paul, beautiful plant. Do you have any pics of the plant itself ?
    [IMG]http://**************************************/2013/01/20130127-142723.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://**************************************/2013/01/20130127-142733.jpg[/IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato View Post
    Since my plant has been essentially frozen in time since it arrived, I wouldn't be surprised if the pitcher wasn't completely finished developing. It reminds me of yours before it colored up and there hasn't been a new pitcher to confirm what the standard morphology will be like. At the moment, there are a few things in the description that don't appear on mine: the leaves are not peltate at this size; the first hooked appendage under the lid, near peristome, isn't visible (although the second appendage near the apex is there); and the lid margin does not appear to be wavy.

We'll see how true all of this holds with successive pitchers, but at the moment it almost looks like it could be hybridized with N. rhombicaulis or gymnamphora.
    I would not expect the ruffled lid, peltata leaves and the glandular crest at the back of the lid near the peristome to appear until the plants are making much larger lower pitchers. The hooked appendage under the lid at the front does seem to begin appearing while they are fairly young. I have seen it beginning to show on seedlings just a few inches wide. I have also noticed a fair amount of variation in coloring and prominence of the forked tongue among seedlings too. Perhaps this is just within the normal parameters for N. naga? Guess we will see..

Ady, who was one of the first to show this plant has some interesting notes and photos. N. naga info

edit: oh hmm yeah weird on the strange wings. I don't recall sending any that had wings that looked like that but maybe? I will have a look in the greenhouse. I wouldn't judge it on that respect until it grows a bit and makes new pitchers. Sometimes the wings get messed up on developing pitchers until they settle in and produce new pitchers.

edit again: It wouldn't surprise me if there are a fair number of plants that turn out to be natural hybrids of one sort or another with N. naga. Or that some seed has been collected that were not N. naga in the first place and simply some sort of N. bongso or something. At least it should be fairly easy to separate which are and aren't when they mature.
    Last edited by Tony Paroubek; 01-27-2013 at 04:18 PM.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping you'd chime in Tony. I got mine from you and I was wondering, do have pics of any of the other seedlings for comparison ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any photos but maybe I can take some this week.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be great Tony. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my seedling that is maybe just larger than 3 inches, with pitchers under an inch tall, already showing the appendage.

N. naga by Wire Man, on Flickr

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Wire Man: Did you take any pics of the entire pitcher? Also, do you see/feel both appendages? Is there an undulate lid margin? My plant shows the same appendage at the apex of the lid, but is (as of now) lacking the "hooked" appendage at the base of the lid.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast