User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes naga ? Post and compare your plants here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty much the entire pitcher. The opening is too small for me to fit my pinky finger under the lid. The entire plant is 3" wide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my baby Naga. I bought this one from Dean

It too is about 10 months since I received it. This is the first of the larger pitchers it has produced (a little over 3").

Funny how different they all look! I hope mine's a N. naga!.... It was sold to me as one!
    Last edited by MurphysLaw; 01-27-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That one has an interesting peristome.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
    Here is my baby Naga. I bought this one from Dean

It too is about 10 months since I received it. This is the first of the larger pitchers it has produced

Funny how different they all look! I hope mine's a N. naga!.... It was sold to me as one!
    I think it's always going to be a bit risky buying seed grown "species", because the person who raised the plants is rarely the same person who collected the seed, so there is a weak link in the chain, and no guarantee that your plant is going to be true to species. While some will be disappointed to end up with a hybrid, I'm more inclined to enjoy seeing the mystery unfold, whether its a true species or a naturally-occurring hybrid. I'm just grateful to have the opportunity to raise a genetically unique plant, in a hobby where many of the plants we have access to are tissue cultured; not always a good thing, IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I'm just grateful to have the opportunity to raise a genetically unique plant, in a hobby where many of the plants we have access to are tissue cultured; not always a good thing, IMO.
    True .... True ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't agree more, Paul.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the weather has been very overcast for weeks on end it seems. We had a little break in the clouds today so I tried to get some photos.
    General observations..
    Some of the plants had a little reddish color and some were more greenish. I couldn't tell any difference between them as far as leaf shapes that might indicate possible hybridization.
    Same was true of pitcher color and shape. Although clearly it is important to consider the size and age of the plant and age of the pitchers, which isn't always so easy to do when looking at a single photo of just a pitcher. Younger plants and more juvenile pitchers appeared to be more tubular and less tubby. Pitchers open fairly light in color and can get quite dark with age although this appears to be somewhat variable in how dark. All of my plants had a little fuzz on the leaf edge although it is sometimes hard to see and I didn't specifically try to take a photo. There was not alot of ruffling of the lid although a little could be seen. This would typically be a more mature feature along with any crests and projections under the lid as well as final leaf tip morphology, so I would expect these to change still as the plants age. I did find it interesting that some plants had a clear projection forming under the tip of the lid while others had only a minor bump, if that. Perhaps it is just species variation? If I recall correctly some photos I have seen from the wild show plants with varying degrees in the prominence of the 'toothy' projection. I guess it remains to be seen if plants showing little projection will develop it over time.

plant 1

plant 1 pitcher

plant 1 pitcher lid close up

plant 2 pitchers new on the left older on the right

plant 2 newer pitcher close up

plant 3 pitcher. A really dark clone

plant 3 pitcher close up. (easier to see the forked 'tongue' in the other photo.. oh well)

plant 4 smaller plant about half the size of the previous 3.

plant 4 older aged pitcher to show color

plant 4 younger pitcher

plant 5 one of the larger plants with a very big pitcher and light color..

plant 5 pitcher

plant 5 pitcher close up

leaf edge

couple of leaf tips

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Growing!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast