What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes naga ? Post and compare your plants here.

I don't have any photos but maybe I can take some this week.

That would be great Tony. Thanks.

Here's my seedling that is maybe just larger than 3 inches, with pitchers under an inch tall, already showing the appendage.

N. naga by Wire Man, on Flickr

@Wire Man: Did you take any pics of the entire pitcher? Also, do you see/feel both appendages? Is there an undulate lid margin? My plant shows the same appendage at the apex of the lid, but is (as of now) lacking the "hooked" appendage at the base of the lid.

That's pretty much the entire pitcher. The opening is too small for me to fit my pinky finger under the lid. The entire plant is 3" wide.

Here is my baby Naga. I bought this one from Dean

It too is about 10 months since I received it. This is the first of the larger pitchers it has produced (a little over 3").

Naga2.jpg

Funny how different they all look! I hope mine's a N. naga!.... It was sold to me as one!

Last edited:
That one has an interesting peristome.

Here is my baby Naga. I bought this one from Dean

It too is about 10 months since I received it. This is the first of the larger pitchers it has produced

Funny how different they all look! I hope mine's a N. naga!.... It was sold to me as one!

I think it's always going to be a bit risky buying seed grown "species", because the person who raised the plants is rarely the same person who collected the seed, so there is a weak link in the chain, and no guarantee that your plant is going to be true to species. While some will be disappointed to end up with a hybrid, I'm more inclined to enjoy seeing the mystery unfold, whether its a true species or a naturally-occurring hybrid. I'm just grateful to have the opportunity to raise a genetically unique plant, in a hobby where many of the plants we have access to are tissue cultured; not always a good thing, IMO.

I'm just grateful to have the opportunity to raise a genetically unique plant, in a hobby where many of the plants we have access to are tissue cultured; not always a good thing, IMO.

True .... True ... :rookwoot:

Couldn't agree more, Paul.

Well the weather has been very overcast for weeks on end it seems. We had a little break in the clouds today so I tried to get some photos.
General observations..
Some of the plants had a little reddish color and some were more greenish. I couldn't tell any difference between them as far as leaf shapes that might indicate possible hybridization.
Same was true of pitcher color and shape. Although clearly it is important to consider the size and age of the plant and age of the pitchers, which isn't always so easy to do when looking at a single photo of just a pitcher. Younger plants and more juvenile pitchers appeared to be more tubular and less tubby. Pitchers open fairly light in color and can get quite dark with age although this appears to be somewhat variable in how dark. All of my plants had a little fuzz on the leaf edge although it is sometimes hard to see and I didn't specifically try to take a photo. There was not alot of ruffling of the lid although a little could be seen. This would typically be a more mature feature along with any crests and projections under the lid as well as final leaf tip morphology, so I would expect these to change still as the plants age. I did find it interesting that some plants had a clear projection forming under the tip of the lid while others had only a minor bump, if that. Perhaps it is just species variation? If I recall correctly some photos I have seen from the wild show plants with varying degrees in the prominence of the 'toothy' projection. I guess it remains to be seen if plants showing little projection will develop it over time.

plant 1
Nnaga1plant.jpg

plant 1 pitcher
Nnaga1pitch1.jpg

plant 1 pitcher lid close up
Nnaga1pitch1close.jpg

plant 2 pitchers new on the left older on the right
Nnaga2pitch.jpg

plant 2 newer pitcher close up
Nnaga2pitchclose.jpg

plant 3 pitcher. A really dark clone
Nnaga3pitch.jpg

plant 3 pitcher close up. (easier to see the forked 'tongue' in the other photo.. oh well)
Nnaga3pitchclose.jpg

plant 4 smaller plant about half the size of the previous 3.
Nnaga4plant.jpg

plant 4 older aged pitcher to show color
Nnaga4pitch1.jpg

plant 4 younger pitcher
Nnaga4pitch2.jpg

plant 5 one of the larger plants with a very big pitcher and light color..
Nnaga5plant.jpg

plant 5 pitcher
Nnaga5pitch.jpg

plant 5 pitcher close up
Nnaga5pitchclose.jpg

leaf edge
Nnagaleafedge.jpg

couple of leaf tips
Nnagaleaftip1.jpg

Nnagaleaftip2.jpg

Nice Growing!

Tony, were all of these plants from the same batch of seed?

Tony, were all of these plants from the same batch of seed?

Same batch of seed. I don't know if they were collected from more than one female plant though. I guess the possibility exists that seed from several plants was collected and combined. Sometimes I get the actual pod and it's easy to tell the seed is from a single source and other times I just get a packet of seed and it's not as clear. I don't recall exactly if these seed arrived in a pod or not. That is something my notes don't indicate and probably something I should keep track of from now on!

You grew that from seed? Thats Awesome!

what kind of place do you get the seed from ( a nursery or a seed collecter)

Great pics Tony. It's good to see several of these from one batch all together. I personally think that this species is just very variable, especially in color and we're seeing this as expressed in all of our seedlings. All the telltale signs of N.naga seem to be present on all of them.

Here's the latest pitcher on mine. The appendage is smaller on this one than the last one but I'm starting to get the frilly lid.

007_zps754b5915.jpg

006_zps6a8b6131.jpg

005_zps34645a75.jpg

004_zps57e3c412.jpg

It's about time this thread got made isn't it?

It's great to see this species finally starting to grow up in cultivation and show its characteristics. Keep up the good growing everyone and be sure to post more pictures as they grow!

The most recent pitcher on my N. naga seedling:
20130407-111251.jpg

It has been open just about a week and will darken to a "gunmetal" black color over the next few weeks. Still not hint of either lid appendage.

nice! but yeah now I want to see a pict of that "gunmetal" black one in the background!

Back