User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes naga ? Post and compare your plants here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes naga ? Post and compare your plants here.

There seems to be some question lately as to whether or not these young seed grown Nepenthes naga are indeed Nepenthes naga. I figured I'd start this thread so we can all put our plants beside each other and post updates on the individual plants as they come. It seems like a very variable species in morphology as well as color in all the photos of adult plants that I've seen. It'll be interesting to see how these young plants develop.

Here's mine. Seed grown from Tony Paroubek. I'm 99% sure this one is a true N.naga

This is the pitcher it arrived bearing :

This is the 1st pitcher it's put out in my care:

Here are some of it's distinguishing characteristics:

Hairy leaf margins:

The developing anterior appendage on the underside of the lid:

No sign of the rear appendage or the ruffled lid yet................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grats on getting this plant. Hope it grows well for you.
    Brennan
    My growlist: http://bit.ly/VUE0ri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are very simple molecular biology techniques for species identification, whether they be plants, animals, bacteria, or fungi. Since Naga was recently discovered, neither the matK or trnK sequence is available on NCBI. However, there are over 71 species of Nepenthes sequence deposited in the public database and one can always perform a process of elimination, or acquire a positive control from the grower. I would encourage you to befriend someone who has access to a lab and has some knowledge of molecular biology, and of course willing to run a few samples for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is still a baby. I'll post pics tomorrow. I accidentally severed the newest inflating pitcher when transferring it to the larger terrarium.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    Mine is still a baby.
    Even better Graham. We have nothing to by with youngsters of this plant. Nobody seems to know what the juvies are supposed to look like.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's mine from the same batch. Haven't had a new pitcher since it arrived, so it's a bit hard to say if it will darken or not.

N. naga

I'll try to take some more detailed pictures later.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Structurally yours looks a lot like mine. This species seems to vary quite a bit in color so not sure if that can be used as an indicator or not. I think I see the hint of that front lid appendage there too.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since my plant has been essentially frozen in time since it arrived, I wouldn't be surprised if the pitcher wasn't completely finished developing. It reminds me of yours before it colored up and there hasn't been a new pitcher to confirm what the standard morphology will be like. At the moment, there are a few things in the description that don't appear on mine: the leaves are not peltate at this size; the first hooked appendage under the lid, near peristome, isn't visible (although the second appendage near the apex is there); and the lid margin does not appear to be wavy.

We'll see how true all of this holds with successive pitchers, but at the moment it almost looks like it could be hybridized with N. rhombicaulis or gymnamphora.
    Last edited by mato; 01-27-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast