What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Hamata

Just paid for a nepenthes hamata... Is there any advice or tips that you guys can give me?
Please share your personal experiences with the plant
And pics of your hamatas would be awesome! :)

Last edited:
It likes moderate to low light levels, a very well drained mix, prefferably containing some LFS, day temps in the 70's and night temps in the 50's to low 60's and humidity of at least 65%

Nhamata_8-21-12.jpg

they like their humidity IMO.
kind of an older pic:

100_7110.jpg

kind of a newer pic:

IMG_3525.jpg

Exo and mass is there any way you could post pics of your growing set ups? That would be very helpful

Not sure I have any decent pics, but it's pretty much a huge table with a shower stall built around it, with a T5 HO light fixture, a humidifier, and a fan inside with the plants.

Mine is the exact same thing, except instead of a shower stall in the basement it's a 6'x8' greenhouse in my den.

IMG_3778_zps347cd5e8.jpg

kind of an older pic.. again..

IMG_1926.jpg

I found normal N. hamata (not RHH) to be one of the easier HL Neps to grow (unlike N. aristolochioides, N. argentii, etc). Give it reasonable temps, decent humidity, feed it periodically (optional) & watch your weed grow. :lol:

However, I noticed with both your N. lowii & N. hamata threads, you're asking for info after you've ordered. I would recommend reversing the order.... :poke:

RL7836 reversing the order? I am not new to growing highland nepenthes at all and have a great set up for them :)

It never hurts to ask questions, or get advice.

RL7836 reversing the order? I am not new to growing highland nepenthes at all and have a great set up for them :)

It never hurts to ask questions, or get advice.

I don't think Ron was the only one who got the impression from your questions that these were perhaps the first plants you had acquired, so it wasn't unrealistic to think your skill level was more in the novice range. I thought so too. It just goes to show you, it is wise to reveal as much as you can about your experience with the plants in question, so people don't need to fill in the blanks ;-)

I ordered an edwardsiana. Anyone have any useful tips?
Or assumptions regarding my experience skill level 5 when it really has nothing to do with anything that we're talking about here.. ?

hamata is cool..
Leave the poor kid alone.

Last edited:
Mass if you don't mind me asking...where did you get the n. edwardsiana

There should be no assumptions regarding someone's skill level...ridiculous

We all have the same thing in common which is we appreciate cultivation in cps period..

My asking to veiw others photos and gaining insight on their personal experiences is what a forum is for.

Last edited:
There should be no assumptions regarding someone's skill level...ridiculous

Of course, there would be no assumptions made, in any direction, if the person posting provides enough information about their growspace, rather than leaving the readers to guess and speculate. :)
In my opinion, you could have done a better job of communicating to the forum what your growing conditions and experience level are. If you believe that such information is irrelevant for the sake of placing the questions in context, that is your prerogative. However, it is a frequent theme on the forum that when people ask questions, they often fail to provide sufficient context for others to be able to answer the questions meaningfully and intelligently. I simply wished to point this out, not to call into question your horticultural skills or experience.

Last edited:
Why in the hell should he need to reveal ANYTHING about himself to obtain grow tips on a particular species.
His "growspace" is either up to par, or it isn't. That's his problem to work on..
We were all able to answer his questions meanigfully and intelligently regardless of "sufficient context".
Paul, You obviously just want to talk about greenhouses and growspaces... so.... YOUR problem here, is the same thing I pointed out to you on the pro boards. Get.. Over.. Yourself..
Just because you have a greenhouse doesn't make you better than everyone else. Please explain that to your ego for me.

Elec, I'll pm you regarding the seed grown edwardsiana orders.. I'm done here.

so far mine is one of the less picky neps to grow,temps day 60/70 nights 50/60 humidity day 50/60 night 60/70 basically i grow mine open to house environment as all my neps are ,apart from having a large tray of damp sphag that all the nep pots are in to raise humidity around the plants(a bit)not very hard so far but my plant is young and has not seen a summer yet,but summers here don't really happen so not too worried about that

My conditions are similar to Corkys. My humidity is a lil higher though. I've only had my hamatas for around a month but they seem to grow steadily. I wouldnt say they were difficult at all.

Why in the hell should he need to reveal ANYTHING about himself to obtain grow tips on a particular species.
His "growspace" is either up to par, or it isn't. That's his problem to work on..
We were all able to answer his questions meanigfully and intelligently regardless of "sufficient context".
Paul, You obviously just want to talk about greenhouses and growspaces... so.... YOUR problem here, is the same thing I pointed out to you on the pro boards. Get.. Over.. Yourself..
Just because you have a greenhouse doesn't make you better than everyone else. Please explain that to your ego for me.

Elec, I'll pm you regarding the seed grown edwardsiana orders.. I'm done here.

Wow. Just wow. :scratch:

Last edited:
Only trying to get everyone to take a step back...
I don't think it is a bad idea at all to fill people in on what you already can do and what you might need some in-depth advice on.
Perhaps, if it isn't clear what someone is capable of, maybe ask for clarification before making advice that might come across as scathing.
With that being said, can everyone resume giving him some tips on growing some wonderful plants like you all have?!

Wow. Just wow. :scratch:

I feel the same way every time I see you talking down to people. Like you're better than them because you own a greenhouse.
I also feel you now know you crossed a line by talking down to me.
Just because your grow space has changed, doesn't mean you as a person should too. I liked you better before..
For both of our sakes, quit talking down to people like they're beneath you. It's not nice.

Last edited:
Back