What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i believe P. lusitanica is an annual. so it would make sense that they would flower about now. and joy, no need to sterilize seed!

Comparison of Nepenthes Attenboroughii sprouts in vitro vs. compost

8565448345_d06346fedf_z.jpg

8565448595_54dc4d0bcd_z.jpg

8566544598_361cd665a6_z.jpg

How do yours look Don?

Your in vitro is further along than mine. Mine has a lot of bruising because these gorilla hands can't handle tweezers when I was replating them into new media with less agar. They also seem to be forming calluses instead of pitchers. I'll try to take picture tomorrow.

The ones have have in compost are larger with most of them working on their fourth pitchers.

Use the loops! Tip the jar/vessel at 45deg angle and use the loop to scoop them out gently. When the sprouts get bigger, the loops can not be used. But at this stage it is still fine. The leaves touching, or submerged under, the media have black spots. Also, there are gaseous bubbles trapped under the plant from respiration. Ah, my hands are not the smallest either, size 7. Grip training does not help matters.

The compost one is on the 4th pitcher as well. The oldest pitchers just passed away. I moved it to HL conditions yesterday.

i believe P. lusitanica is an annual. so it would make sense that they would flower about now. and joy, no need to sterilize seed!

dunno that they are obligate annuals. They seem to persist all year long for me and keep on going. weeds.....

When using the loop you should ease the sprout out of the media slowly. I was too forceful at first and the sprout pole vaulted across the jar and stuck to the side. My 0.2% gelzan media may be slightly on the liquid side. I had no choice but to let the sprouts sink into their new home. I had hoped they would sit on top of the media instead of being submerged. Next round I will use a higher percent jello. On the upside, the sprouts really do not like waddling in the jello, and quickly put out new leaves.

Today is a good day :) N. Rigidifolia seeds sown on 2-12-13. Although, I think the smaller seeds are the real Rigidifolia and the bigger seeds being Spectabilis crosses. Seeds of another batch and a more reputable source, all looked like the smaller seeds.

8580982404_2d5a703959_z.jpg

Great job!

From what I have been told, the rigidifolia x spectabilis natural hybrid is actually less common than certain publications may claim. You would be more likely to find rigidifolia hybrids involving tobaica. Granted, the differences will be obvious.

DonH; said:
They also seem to be forming calluses instead of pitchers. I'll try to take picture tomorrow.

The ones have have in compost are larger with most of them working on their fourth pitchers.

Don't expect too much in terms of pitcher production in vitro, especially after they were just initiated. Many don't produce until high auxin media is used, during rooting . . .

These seeds proved to be quiet problematic. But as per BigBella's advice, I scrubbed them down like the dirty b@*****s that they are! It seemed to work....
8582968907_207ee58e1b_z.jpg

First signs of germination of N. Naga on compost. Those sown in vitro have also started to germinate.

8583119925_9ee0948545_z.jpg

Some N. Raja Kinabalu germination on compost
8619522369_bc814ee32d_z.jpg

N. Attenboroughii
8620625826_6005b71cc7_z.jpg

Cyanobacteria lawn AKA my field of green
8620626310_a1063e43c8_z.jpg

i wonder how that last one happened? o_O
does this mean replating time?

Congrats on all the successful germination!

I'm getting good N. attenboroughii germination from 2 out of the 4 locations.

image_zpsa098ba5d.jpg

N. Jamban sowed 12-15-12
8647654206_a4e104a199_z.jpg

I kept this tub around and only 4 months to see some germination. I do have some patience BigBella.

On another note, you all can kiss those Attenboroughii, Raja, and perhaps a few Eddies I was going to donate to next year's auction good bye. I was not at all pleased today.

What happened? ? ?

looking good!

Got germination with the regia seeds btw! Thanks again for those Jen.. much appreciated.

I was cleaning the refrigerator and found some more sprouts.
N. Jacquelineae sowed on 2-7-13
8648917451_cdd85c25f7_z.jpg

Any update on the ceph seeds?

Back