What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DonH's Nepenthes Pic Thread

if i had seen that double shot five years ago i would've keeled over. what a lovely pair!

I almost bought that burb....

Looks like we received similar individuals, Don. I was glad to see the pitchers were much lighter than the Wistuba clone.

It's interesting that you decided to use coir instead of sphagnum. Is this simply because it breaks down slower than the sphagnum?

I was surprised the pic came out so well although the AW edwardsiana's peristome was slightly out of focus.

I almost bought that burb....
I'm glad you didn't. :) I asked Rob to pick out the burb with reddest pitcher and red leaves. I'm very happy with his choice...

Looks like we received similar individuals, Don. I was glad to see the pitchers were much lighter than the Wistuba clone.

It's interesting that you decided to use coir instead of sphagnum. Is this simply because it breaks down slower than the sphagnum?

I was also glad to see a lighter pitcher. Hopefully, it will stay that color under my conditions.

I switched to coir because, not only does it break down slower, it also retains less moisture which suits my frequent watering schedule well.

The intermediate Neps potted in this mix have really taken off.

This is the brand I use with no worry of salts: Canna Coco Coir

Thanks, Don. I think I'll check that out.

The xTrusmadiensis BE clone 2 finally developed its first pitcher for me. This one took forever to inflate!

Your patience has completely paid off. Bravo :clap:

That looks great, Don. Based on the lighter coloration, I assume the plant is a decent size?

Your patience has completely paid off. Bravo :clap:
Thanks, BioZest. Staring at the pitcher really didn't help it along. LOL

That looks great, Don. Based on the lighter coloration, I assume the plant is a decent size?

Thanks, mato. Yes, it's a pretty good size plant. Here's a pic of it in February when I received it from quogue compared to a typical sized AW xTM seedling.
image_zpsca3296a5.jpg

beautiful pitcher :D my clone 2 is still thinking about inflating its first since arriving. and i cant wait to get my wistuba micro after seeing that :awesome: gunna be a longggg time before it is anything to look at

Thats a beautiful TM Don. Nice growing!

Don you have some great looking plants man that Trusmadiensis is simply breathtaking, you have some great growing skills. you have all the good highlanders that I'm still trying get so I guess i'll enjoy yours until I get mines :-D

Thanks guys!

Here are some updates on what's going on in the intermediate growing area:

N. hamiguitanensis This plant has been a surprisingly quick grower for me.

N. robcantleyi

N. lowii x truncata

And for something different, D. muscipula "Mirror"

the lowii x truncata has hairs on the underside of the lid! :D (not sure if this is usually the case)

i love that cross

and the mirror trap is just too strange. every trap on that culivar shows this? does the main trap open wider or is that about it?

cheers

Not every Mirror trap has this mutation. Most are regular traps and the mutated traps open as wide as the regular ones.

Your plants are amazing, all of em. Still can't get over how great your wistuba eddie looks, it's so darn RED! Also, that trusmadiensis is to die for!

Thanks! I heard that you will be getting an AW eddie as well in June so it may be the same clone as the one I have. Coincidentally, my number on the waiting list also came up and I will be getting one in June also. I added a N. lamii and a few other plants to the order. Now if I can get a hairy hamata, my dream collection will be complete. :)

Beautiful plants Don. Damn! I was on the AW list for eddie back in feb, but i was away from the country and missed replying to Andreas's email regd confirming my eddie and lost the spot. damn! What a shame...looks like he has a spectacular clone.

That hamiguitanensis is great, Don. Mine is barely an inch, but seems like it will be well worth the wait.

Back