What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DonH's Nepenthes Pic Thread

Great plants, always a sucker for toothies (curse the fact that I have none!). I'm also really liking that lingulata. I have some seedlings growing right now, though they're not very big some are already getting that dark color, and the very even, tubular pitchers.

I loves me sum teef lol they look great!!! How big/old is your villosa?
It's a BE clone that I've had for 1 1/2 years. It's a slow but steady grower and currently a little over 2".

looking good buddy! as usual..
Thanks, Travis!

Wow! Everything looks phenomenal.
Thanks, Sundrew!

Healthy and clean, as always. :beer:

The larger your plant becomes, the more I think that particular Wistuba clone of edwardsiana has slightly atypical coloration for the species. Looking around, you don't see too many photos of dark plants. Also, I was thinking the clone I just received doesn't look quite like the other one did when it arrived. I'd like to see if it's actually one of his other, slower clones.

I've been told that only some lingulata exhibit the lid appendage at a small size, but most do not. When it gets a bit larger it should become more apparent. A pitcher on mine just opened behind some pots, so I need to get in there today to have a look at it. I'll report any appendages that I may find.

Anyway, I'm smitten, Don. What more can I say?
Thanks, Mat. The new clone came with a tag that had a "1" at the bottom which is the same as the tag from the original clone. I'm not sure if Andreas tracks his clones by the number on the tags. It might mean I have 2 of the same clone (which I don't mind).

I'm curious to see how large the pitchers need to be before the lingulata starts to show the appendage.

Great plants, always a sucker for toothies (curse the fact that I have none!). I'm also really liking that lingulata. I have some seedlings growing right now, though they're not very big some are already getting that dark color, and the very even, tubular pitchers.
I love the toothies also. :) I'll post some updates of the hamatas and xTrusmadiensis later this week. I really like how the xTM clone 2 is turning out.

Thanks, Mat. The new clone came with a tag that had a "1" at the bottom which is the same as the tag from the original clone. I'm not sure if Andreas tracks his clones by the number on the tags. It might mean I have 2 of the same clone (which I don't mind).

The "1" just means you received one of that particular plant in the order. I only know because I ordered duplicates in this past order and there was a "2."

Here are some updates...

My first upper N. dubia Talamau from AW:

Comparison of 2 N. edwardsiana pitchers at the same stage of development:

AW clone

SG from Botanique

AW closeup

Little AW clone acclimating well and showing growth

N. lamii also acclimating well with new leaf
Before:

Now:

Nice, nice. Your freezer seems to be doing the trick as usual.

I managed to lose a lamii last week while I was on vacation. Not too often that seed-grown plants of that species appear...

congrats on the upper!!!, and on keeping the Lamii alive despite the odds.

Nice, nice. Your freezer seems to be doing the trick as usual.

I managed to lose a lamii last week while I was on vacation. Not too often that seed-grown plants of that species appear...
Ouch! I need to know your sources for all those rare seedgrown plants. LOL

The freezer has been great and I don't recall ever losing a plant in that setup. Space is becoming an issue though. :(

I posted pics of the developing edwardsiana pitchers to compare the 2 plants. Even when small, the AW clone starts off with a more reddish color than the SG plant. The pitchers on the SG still maintains the deep orangish color. Both plants are grown side by side so conditions should be almost identical. How are yours developing?

congrats on the upper!!!, and on keeping the Lamii alive despite the odds.
Thanks! I have the lamii right up against the freezer wall to keep it on the cooler side. I'm not sure if there are microclimates in such a small growing space but the plant looks like it's doing well. I was concerned when I got it from Wistuba almost 2 months ago that it wasn't going to make it ("before" pic was taken shortly after opening the box).

CP4 - If you're reading this, sorry to hear that you lost your eddie. I took pics last night intending to give an update to my thread not realizing until this morning that you had lost yours. Another opportunity will come along...

Awesome pics! That AW eddie is looking fierce. BTW, I have found that it is quite cold close to the water level in my chest freezer, it seems that the water stays just above freezing 24/7. For plants that I want to keep very cold I just put them in smaller pots in a corner so they are lower and in between two corners.

BTW: what temperatures are you giving them?

Last edited:
I haven't noticed too many differences between the two, yet. The Summer has been hot this year and temperatures seldom drop below 63F (or instead reach 90F, as is what happened while I was on vacation), so there has been a slow-down over the last month. Otherwise, I've noticed the foliage on the Wistuba clone is slightly darker, and the pitcher coloration that you mentioned seems to hold true.

I'd like to know which is a faster grower, but I think the media Rob had them in was so "perlitey" (aka :censor:), that the rapid growth of the seed-grown plant is a bit of an exaggeration (it's nearly 5'' now).

When the temperatures start to drop in their favor a bit, I'll be sure to make a few notes.

aw man mato I still have my Eddie in the mix Rob gave it I thought about changing it but didn't want to put unnecessary stress on it but will be changing it soon it's a little over 9" now, the aw eddie has been growing pretty fast too like a leaf/pitcher per weak. I've been growing them 75/day 65/nite RH 65%
20130826_222342.jpg
20130826_222407.jpg
20130827_163512.jpg

Wow, 9''? How large was seed-grown plant when you purchased it from Rob? A leaf and pitcher per week is extremely fast. You're definitely doing something well.

it was already around 8" when I got it

Awesome pics! That AW eddie is looking fierce. BTW, I have found that it is quite cold close to the water level in my chest freezer, it seems that the water stays just above freezing 24/7. For plants that I want to keep very cold I just put them in smaller pots in a corner so they are lower and in between two corners.

BTW: what temperatures are you giving them?
Temps are 70-72 day and 50-52 night. What is the humidity of your freezer? I might eliminate my humidifier if it can be maintained at 70% with water at the bottom. I hate filling up the humidifier even if it's just once every few days.

vdub: That's incredible growth you're getting! My parameters are not far from yours and I'm getting about a leaf/pitcher per month. OK... Spill it! What are you putting in the water. :-D

The osmocote wreaks havoc on the sphagnum but it makes the neps grow like weeds

Temps are 70-72 day and 50-52 night. What is the humidity of your freezer? I might eliminate my humidifier if it can be maintained at 70% with water at the bottom. I hate filling up the humidifier even if it's just once every few days.

vdub: That's incredible growth you're getting! My parameters are not far from yours and I'm getting about a leaf/pitcher per month. OK... Spill it! What are you putting in the water. :-D
I have a humidifier but I refill it every one to two weeks. The water at the bottom really helps because it not only keeps up the humidity but also makes the temp drop at night slower which is more natural. It takes 2 hours to go from 75-77 to 55.

Have been in maintenance mode lately with no new purchases. Here are some updates:

N. xTrusmadiensis BE clone 2

N. leonardoi

N. hamata

N. klossii

N. macrophylla BE clone

N. villosa

N. villosa AW

N. edwardsiana SG

You literally just posted pictures back to back of ideal specimens of all the most sought after and difficult to find of rare and exotic Nepenthes.

Great job. Very nice collection.

All hail the toothies :hail: looking good Don!!! Every time I see one of those sg Eddies they remind me of x Harryana, you definitely have some magnificent specimens.

FINALLY the N. lamii looks like it's showing some growth!

More edwardsiana pics...

N. hamata

I think you'll be receiving a lot of cultivation questions if that lamii keeps growing!

Back