What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question about nepenthes seedlings

Hey everyone‚
So I'm doing my first attempt at growing neps from seed. I sowed N. Ventricosa seeds in the beginning of December and started seeing germination halfway through January. I have been looking online at photos of NEP babies and can't find any that look like what I have. All of the seedlings look identical to seedling sarracenia. Is this normal? All of the photos that I'm finding have little hairs at the pitcher openings. While every pitch I have looks like a sarracenia. I do know for a fact that they were nep seeds and would appreciate any feedback you can give me.
Johnny

Sounds very strange. A picture says a thousand words though.......

I'm gonna guess that you somehow received a mutation between Nepenthes and Sarrencenia and you will have a cultivar named "Dr Who." You will sell that mutation to a bunch of vendors and be rolling in the dough as the kids say. That or you don't have very good conditions for the neps and and they're trying to reach for the lights or something.

could there have been sarracenia seeds in the pot then you planted the nepenthes and the sarrs spoted first?

I can't seem to get pics to load here but if you go over to flytrapcare and look in tropical pitcher plants I have a few pics up

Api may be right. The seedlings may be etiolated due to lack of light. Pics do help immensly though.

those look like my darlingtonia seedlings or some small sarrs i would geuss there must have been sarr seed in that soil.
check the base or the seedlings if theres a nepenthes seed coat on it its a nep if theres not its probably a sarracenia

Those appear to be a sarracenia seedlings. Further evidence is that it took less than six weeks for germination, which is almost unheard of for Nepenthes.....almost

No doubt in my mind that those are sarracenia how odd though that they popped up

Those are undoubtably Sarracenia seedlings. Are you sure the seeds you planted were Nepenthes ? What did the seeds look like ?

Those appear to be a sarracenia seedlings. Further evidence is that it took less than six weeks for germination, which is almost unheard of for Nepenthes.....almost

Concur. I have had ventricosa seeds take one year to germinate.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, these Ventricosa Seeds didn't come from a giveaway on the forums some months ago did it? Most people, myself included, had germination within a couple of weeks!

I can't seem to get pics to load here but if you go over to flytrapcare and look in tropical pitcher plants I have a few pics up

You can't load photos here. They need to be hosted elsewhere (photobucket, flickr etc) and you can link them here into your thread.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, these Ventricosa Seeds didn't come from a giveaway on the forums some months ago did it? Most people, myself included, had germination within a couple of weeks!

indeed they did. For the past few years I have been sending seeds to Exo to give away here as well as to the ICPS seed bank. Grown indoors at 78-80 F germination is rapid. Outdoors where my night time temps can drop down to the 30-40 F range in winter and 50-60 range in summer it has taken as much as a year to see germination.

i saw the pictures, look like sarracenia minor seedling.. its a very frustrating situation !

:/

Agreeing with Whimgrinder, most Nepenthes seeds take at least a couple months to germinate. Though on the other hand, I had seeds from him sprout in 2 weeks. However, there isn't a doubt that these seedlings are Sarracenia. The cotyledon shape and true leaf shape are perfect match.

Me too. They were nepenthes ventricosa "black lips" x typical nepenthes ventricosa. Ive got like 14 little plants now. BUT. They didn't look like the pictures of those seedlings on the other forums. They had squat pictures by the time they were of that size already

Yes, you definitely have Sarracenia seedlings on your hands.

That being said, Nepenthes are often species-specific in terms of its germination. I have had some highlanders sprout in a span of twenty-one days at room temperatures; yet, I have just gotten germination on a batch of recalcitrant, ultrahighland seed after some eighty-seven days as well . . .

Back