What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cure possibly found for my nepenthe's one pitcher blues

I have this mirabilis echinostoma and for a lowlander it is fussy. once i finally got the plant back to it's bushy, healthy self i notice that is would only make 1 pitcher at a time and that one pitcher would usually die off fairly quick compared to my other nepenthes which seem to have a pitcher for every leaf. Overall the plant looked healthy so i just shrugged my shoulder and let it do it's thing(ftr i do not root fert them). i thought maybe it was root lock but wasn't sure.

somewhat unrelated i have become disenchanted with using the betta pellets for my ever-growing(literally) drosera collection due to the smell and fungus generated by it. so i decided to get some feeder insects and while i am at it...dropped a bunch of em in the nepenthes pitchers and alas the echinostoma is making 2 pitchers while the old one is still alive!

im guessing it had a slight nutrient deficiency perhaps? or maybe it is just slow to settle in. whatever the case i generally spray some diluted 30-10-10 in all my neps but if it is a nutrient deficiency i guess it is something that cannot be obtained from the water soluable fert?

just thought i would share....might help if any of you have lowlanders/nepenthes only making 1 pitcher at a time with a low shelf life.....might just need some bugs....???

Have you tried coffee? That seems to be the way to go to take care of those missing micronutrients; it's like a multivitamin.

Back