What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was going to wait on posting this data for another couple of weeks. However, in response to someone's faith, I thought it better to share the positive results thus far. Lest he break out the votive candles and start praying over cultures.....

Currently, I have been using PPM very liberally - like water - and I refilter after each use with 0.2uM sterile filters (which are more expensive than the PPM itself). What I found when I searched for "methylisothiazolinone" is Dow Kathon CG/ICP (formulations I and II). And then we return to where I was months ago before ever embarking on plant TC: printing out patents, journal articles, and reading everyone's post on the forums. I have to agree PPM is not cheap, but it is not that expensive either. Still, my 30ml bottle is dwindling down so I set off to make some in house with off the shelf items. This is not to take business away from the parent company, it is just my nature.

The formulation can be found from the patent in the examples section: http://www.google.com/patents/US5750402

My homebrew is based off of Kathon CG/ICP I (in the ratio from the product insert and not the patent) and the two preservative listed (at 1/4 concentration listed on the patent). If you know chemistry and can find the solubility curves online, the pka of both preservatives is low and they both diassociate at lower pH. In order for it to be stable at 4C for long term storage, the preservatives need to be diluted.

PPM Tx: Sarracenia seeds were pretreated with H2O for 24 hrs and then subject to a 500ppm gibberlic acid treatment for 49 hours. Darlingtonia seeds were treated as the Sarracenia seeds minus the 24 hr H2O treatment. The seeds were sterilised in 1/3MS salts + 8% PPM (homebrew or commericial) for 3 hours on a orbital shaker.

Germination: Jen ppm germination occured 1-2 days faster than commercial PPM seeds. The germination rate thus far is in the table below:
sowed on 2/8/13Jen PPMReg PPMGermination Date
Sarracenia Oreophilia102/22/13 Jen ppm
Sarracenia Alabamensis422/22/13 Jen ppm; 2/23/13 reg ppm
Darlingtonia Californica Siskiyou422/21/13 Jen ppm; 2/23/13 reg ppm
Darlingtonia Californica Del Norte102/24/13 Jen ppm

8513782675_f33bfb5e43_c.jpg

Sarracenia Oreophilia Jen PPM

8513791671_0e1d9b9b8e_c.jpg

8514903850_7d8be87940_c.jpg

Sarracenia Alabamensis Jen PPM

8513782349_5fca640f62_c.jpg

Sarracenia Alabamensis Reg PPM

8514891344_78553788fd_c.jpg

8514890290_9fe4a23052_c.jpg

Darlingtonia Californica Siskiyou Jen PPM

8513782147_05f02f04e1_c.jpg

Darlingtonia Californica Siskiyou Reg PPM

8513789675_88a4476d2a_c.jpg

8514894490_23c6b8884b_c.jpg

Darlingtonia Californica Del Norte Jen PPM

I have also recently sown seeds of Dionaea, Drosera, and Nepenthes and will update when the data is in.

That's all kiddies :)

All hail, Pokey the Great, Terror of the South Bay . . .

-- First Adherent to the Faith . . .

This is awesome. Great experiment!

WOW! Great results with the homebrew! I should have used the "Jen" formula instead of the rest of my PPM yesterday.

Although I have a predilection for experimentation, I only tried these on sacrificial seeds. When the seedlings grow out and there are no deformities or deaths, then I will say it is good to use on my "precious" seeds. I would rather not both of us be crying at the end of the day. Sorry, I don't have the same "testicular fortitude" as BB.....................

Perhaps some libation will help with that :)

Libation... Check.
image_zps9345b8cc.jpg

Testicular fortitude... Looks down. Ummmm... Check? ??? LOL

HAHHAHAH....I have not tried that one before. But after I read its description:

" This is one lacerative muther of an ale. It is unequivocally certain that your feeble palate is grossly inadequate and thus undeserving of this liquid glory...and those around you would have little desire to listen to your resultant whimpering. Instead, you slackjawed gaping gobemouche, slink away to that pedestrian product that lures agog the great unwashed with the shiny happy imagery of its silly broadcast propaganda. You know, the one that offers no challenge, yet works very, very hard to imbue the foolhardy with the absurd notion that they are exercising ‘independent’ thought, or attempts to convey the perception it is in some way ‘authentic’ or ‘original.’ It’s that one that makes you feel safe and delectates you into basking in the warm, fuzzy, and befuddled glow of your own nescience. Why so many allow themselves to be led by the nose lacks plausible explanation. Perhaps you have been so lulled by the siren song of ignorance that you don’t even notice your white-knuckle grip on it. You feel bold and unique, but alas are nothing but sheep, willingly being herded to and fro. If you think you are being piqued in this text, it is nothing when compared to the insults we are all asked to swallow streaming forth from our televisions and computers. Truth be told, you are being coddled into believing you are special or unique by ethically challenged “pay no attention to the man behind the curtain” marketers who layer (upon layer) imagined attributes specifically engineered to lead you by the nose. Should you decide to abdicate your ability to make decisions for yourself, then you are perhaps deserving of the pabulum they serve. Double ******* Ale calls out the garrulous caitiffs who perpetrate the aforementioned atrocities and demands retribution for their outrageously conniving, intentionally misleading, blatantly masturbatory and fallacious ad campaigns. We demand the unmitigated, transparent truth. We demand forthright honesty. We want justice! Call ‘em out and line ‘em up against the wall... NOW."

I am going to have to try it! Purely because that is what I sound like on most days, with a third of those words replaced with expletives. OMG, must be another separated at birth twin brother who runs the company. I have had double and triple bachs at the request of one of my German students, and they were definitely had a more unique taste. With all the late night poker games after hours, I have probably tried half of all the beers they sell at Bevmo by now. Although, I might not remember them all....

However, after I drink that, I don't know if I would be sanctioned for TC. I might "miss" the jar. :)

Some of that does sound like you, now that you mention it.

Frightening . . .

Update: the germination rate thus far is in the table below:
sowed on 2/8/13Jen PPMReg PPMGermination Date
Sarracenia Oreophilia222/22/13 Jen ppm
Sarracenia Alabamensis742/22/13 Jen ppm; 2/23/13 reg ppm
Darlingtonia Californica Siskiyou1062/21/13 Jen ppm; 2/23/13 reg ppm
Darlingtonia Californica Del Norte212/24/13 Jen ppm

8562320701_a2c760906d_c.jpg

The homebrew, with the decreased preservatives, appears to allow for faster germination and thus faster growth over the control groups. The overall germination rate however, remains to be seen.

Great results! Was the homebrew particularly difficult to make?

Nepenthes philippinensis seeds, one of many types of Nepenthes sown for ppm testing on 2/26/13. Germination has occurred in both reg pmm in vitro and reg ppm compost. There was fungal contamination in reg ppm cultures which necessitated recleaning while the jen ppm cultures remained clean. While there was no germination of N.philippinensis seeds treated with jen ppm on compost, the seeds also appeared to be missing. Perhaps, the pipet box in a plastic ziplock bag was not the best setup.

8582968907_207ee58e1b_z.jpg

8584221090_54c850761a_z.jpg

8583119683_d021d219dd_z.jpg

As George Carlin said, "They are trying to **** you with that big advertising d**k. I would add: To thine own self be true. Buy what you need, want, and desire, disregard the rest. If it sounds overblown or overpromoted, it probably is. That being said, Julius Echter is a mighty fine brew. Can't speak for that dos *******o.

Care to elaborate? But anything with perjoratives is fine by me...

GC went on to say that anyone who might question his position on advertising with his doing a cell phone commercial "really didn't get it." Further elaboration would probably get me banned.:) A Dilbert cartoon has the pointy haired boss saying that he would be in a budget meeting and that his task was going to be hard as all the other departments were staffed with professional liars. So Dilbert says, "Bit of an exxageration don't you think?" So he says, "What about marketing?" Dilbert says, "Okay, I give you that one." "Sales?" "Right, but..." "PR?" "Well, yes..." "Finance?" "I forgot about that one." "Legal?" "Wow." So the pointy haired boss says, "Do the next one yourself." Dilbet says, "How about Human Resour... You win."

I love one reviewer's comment : "But next, the aroma is pure bananas; and we're talking aroma like windows down along Costa Rica's Caribbean coast line, south of Port Limon, where miles and miles and miles of banana plantations grow." Bananas are definitely not my favorite fruit but I'll give it a try next winter. Summer is almost here so no empty carbs for me. Unless it is chicken breast marinated in Julius Echter ........

Drosera Regia Jen ppm
8647653854_148e49b664_z.jpg

Drosera Regia Reg ppm
8646557961_5337711b8c_z.jpg

Back