What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ampullaria Appreciation Thread!

What did you cross to get the Nairobi Miracle?

Were those the names of the forms that you got as seeds or did you name them yourself?

Named them myself, i'll register them as cultivars long term like their father "black miracle"

36679232325_184032ab30_b.jpg

36283629760_03994dccf6_b.jpg

36679237125_56334828ab_b.jpg

35869821713_d43846c4f1_b.jpg

36632894116_acce536f81_b.jpg

Wow the leaves on that plant are amazing. It's like the opposite of variegation.

When they do flower you should try remaking some amp hybrids. Just imagine how much,better hookeriana and others would be with these in the mix

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

Wow the leaves on that plant are amazing. It's like the opposite of variegation.

It would still be considered variegation, as the definition is only leaves bearing regions of differing color. It's just in this case the differing colors are regions of anthocyanin and plain chlorophyll rather than chlorophyll and lack thereof.

They're very nice ampullaria (and I want to see color like on those leaves so badly in some of my plants; closest is red speckling on a vent x tiveyi), but personally I think a lot of them are looking way too close to be easily separated as differing cultivars to the eyes of a lot of growers (the differences I'm seeing on some just being slight shades of pitcher or peristome stripe color), and this would be dangerously close to having the same issue here as with all the various Dionaea cultivars out there. Perhaps a grex, and then a select few of the best looking as cultivars?

When they do flower you should try remaking some amp hybrids. Just imagine how much,better hookeriana and others would be with these in the mix

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

I've tried one already, N.(lowii x veitchii) x boschiana cross N.amp black miracle, pollination was done in winter, so 95% of the flower didnt work, but there's 2 pods that look potential, I'm planning on making HL x amp crosses to allow them to grow in intermediate conditions, there's no shortage of LL crosses with black miracle in Thailand (including some mind blowing hookeriana), but then you need special conditions to sustain them, in these cases I generally prefer to grow the pure species, as i am space poor.

It would still be considered variegation, as the definition is only leaves bearing regions of differing color. It's just in this case the differing colors are regions of anthocyanin and plain chlorophyll rather than chlorophyll and lack thereof.

They're very nice ampullaria (and I want to see color like on those leaves so badly in some of my plants; closest is red speckling on a vent x tiveyi), but personally I think a lot of them are looking way too close to be easily separated as differing cultivars to the eyes of a lot of growers (the differences I'm seeing on some just being slight shades of pitcher or peristome stripe color), and this would be dangerously close to having the same issue here as with all the various Dionaea cultivars out there. Perhaps a grex, and then a select few of the best looking as cultivars?

You're mostly right, a few of them do look remarkably similar to one another, but there's about 3 that look quite unique from the rest and different enough to the male pollen donor. In my opinion they are an improvement on the infamous father. There's a few that I haven't posted photos of yet, for example one clone has a tinge of underlying brown consistent on every pitcher and then the characteristic brown variegation or whatever you want to call it on top. Whilst the rest have an underlying green colour similar to the dad.

The brown variegation is quite variable too, for example it may not be very pronounced for a couple of pitchers on suddenly almost a third of the leaf is covered and then the following leaf is sparse in colour yet again.

Great pictures of ampullaria.

I have phone pics of my one and only Nep.
N ampullaria x spectabilis TC BE-3675

It’s just a youngster for now.
The day I got it, from Native Exotics

1da98c3600a4f57faaa69b5d795ee822.jpg

And today, the oldest pitcher’s peristome is coloring up nicely.
12a958cef2a19a81acf89860e9c27f4f.jpg

It has about 4 pitchers open and 3 more growing.
d37f88d4f261f92082f3cdffcbaf5a7f.jpg

I’m learning as I go with this plant. I’m hoping being a hybrid will make it more forgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back