What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. unknown maxima hybrid flowering soon

There is a huge Nepenthes at the NC State University conservatory that is used by the Plant Bio department to teach about specialized plant structures. I think someone might have finally gotten the ID right as N. 'Splendid Diana' however I don't know for sure if this is the same plant. I've asked you all for ID on this before but I recently asked one of the people in charge of the collection and she said if I wanted to make use of the blooms I am welcome to. So as far as I can tell there are two-three more bloom spikes coming out after the next leaf unfurls on each of the growth points. My guess is that they will be ready within the next 4 weeks??? I've never dealt with a blooming nepenthes before so if you guys think it will be sooner or longer feel free to chime in. Anyway, here are some pics of the pitchers on the plant and the most recent flower spike.

IMG_0455 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_0437 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_2324 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_2323 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Untitled by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

Untitled by SarraceniaMutation, on Flickr

It flowers nearly constantly so if you have any pollen and would like to make a hybrid and do a 50/50 seed split let me know. I'm in North Carolina, USA.

That first pic looks exactly the same as my mystery nepenthes.

first pick looks like mine to.

But my Nep is N.Trusmadiensis x MAxima, if it can help someone...

This is 100% not a Trusmadiensis hybrid. I am completely sure about that.

first pick looks like mine to.

But my Nep is N.Trusmadiensis x MAxima, if it can help someone...

This is exactly what I thought when I first saw it. I have a Maxima x TM whose pitcher looks similar but its leaves are different at this stage.
maximaxtm01.jpg

I wonder what your hybrid is, hope you find out.

Back