What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Pullings?

Plant Planter

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever
Yes, indeed, the one with the uncreative name has returned, with yet another question. (I have so many questions. :p)
I'm sure all of you (or most of you) are familiar with the "leaf pulling" procedure for Venus flytraps: dig up the plant, pull down an outside leaf with some white base, plant, wait, get new plant, celebrate, blah, blah, blah. :blahblah9xm: However, I recently picked up a Nepenthes fusca (which I haven't killed yet, huzzah) which I have potted. While unwrapping my bareroot plant, this question hit me:
Can you take leaf pullings with Nepenthes plants, and if so, how should it be done?
This is one of my more mad-scientist questions, sort of like me trying to take a leaf cutting from my flytrap (which was a failure), but I'd really like to know if anyone has attempted this before, and if they had any success. I appreciate any personal anecdotes, research results, opinions, facts, etc., etc., etc. on this subject, and thank you all in advance! :D

(Note: Five-minute formality period has ended. :p)

Nepenthes leaf cuttings don't work.
Nepenthes stalk cuttings do however..

no such thing as a stupid question, but this sure is a silly one. lil google search coulda told you that no, leaf cuttings/pullings with nepenthes do not work as a method of propagation. stem/stalk cuttings is the way to go :)

leaf pullings work with VFTs though, maybe your methods were the issue there?

Stem cuttings? I would love to rapidly propagate my plant, but how exactly does that work? Cut off the growing tip of the stem and plant it?

You'll want to cut it 2 -3 leaves down. It's a lot of stress on both portions of the plant.
I'll try and dig up some pics of my older propagations to show you more in depth..

Also, in this hobby.. you can toss the word "rapidly" right out the window. These plants are the old folks of the botany world. Nothing happens quickly..

Well, yeah, it's slow, but by "rapidly" I mean faster than, say, flowering.
So, you're saying to essentially slice off the tip of the plant?

Leaf pullings have been done before (and I believe Dave Evans examined some roots on a Nepenthes leaf he tried to clone), but the leaves do not contain any buds/auxins that allow nodes to come up from the leaves.

This sounds VERY complicated. I'd think that with all the Nepenthes lovers out there that they'd have figured out a way to propagate a plant in less time than a few months. Oh well, thanks for enlightening me!

Now time to slice up my Nepenthes fusca! :D

(Not really. :p)

It's not complicated at all. You just cut a section of stem and stick it in an appropriate mix, then you wait. And wait. Then wait some more. The waiting isn't complicated at all!

I meant the leaf pulling and the buds/auxins and the root examinations of Dave Evans sounded a bit complicated.

I'd think that with all the Nepenthes lovers out there that they'd have figured out a way to propagate a plant in less time than a few months. Oh well, thanks for enlightening me!

they have, but are you ready to start a tissue culture lab? :p

slow plants are just slow, only so much you can do to control things. We are lucky that they root as well as they do!

Back