What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light Intolerance?

Any suggestions for my light intolerant N. ampullaria? Like, today's a beautiful day in Ontario, so I decided to let Pitcher outside. I know he's sensitive so I like keeping him in pretty much complete shade (he burns even when I had him next to a somewhat bright desk lamp). Clouds covered the sun so it was less than moderate light so I thought, "What the hay!" and put him on a table outside. After a few moments, it became slightly (emphasis on the slightly) brighter, and he started burning! Honestly, it's getting rediculous. I keep him under a glass humidity dome, and my parents think it might be a problem. Any thoughts?

A plant won't adjust to that sort of thing in a day. You need to gradually increase the light over the course of a couple weeks.

yeah for most neps its not that they cant take the light but that you cant just move them from low to high light levels especiallly with varying humidities. i grow my amps in very bright light of t5s and they took a couple months to fully adjust

just grow it where the plant seems to be happy and leave it alone :)

lowlander species in general are more sensitive to sun and drier environments.

Ampullaria can take bright light once acclimated. It needs a few months to adjust. RH should not be lower than ~50%.
My ampullarias are exposed to direct tropical sunlight from 11am-3pm everyday. Unacclimated amp would loose all leaves in 1 day under this condition.

Ampullaria can take bright light once acclimated. It needs a few months to adjust. RH should not be lower than ~50%.
My ampullarias are exposed to direct tropical sunlight from 11am-3pm everyday. Unacclimated amp would loose all leaves in 1 day under this condition.

if you have the time, i would love to see your ampullarias :)

Thanks for all the responses! I'm keeping him outside in the solarium now that it stays fairly "warm" during the night. It gets very indirect light in there. The humidity in his dome is over 70%. I might bring a desk lamp out there to adjust him to the lighting. However, in Canada, it's hard to acclimate things because by the time they've finally adjusted, fall has come :p. Oh well, I'm going to keep him in my 29g aquarium after I bleach everything. I had to tear it down after it got infected with Mycobacteriosis marinum. I'm going to set up lights in there for him, and a fogger.

if you have the time, i would love to see your ampullarias :)

Here are some photos taken a while back...:)

Amp051012_3_zps2eea2fa2.jpg

Amp051012_2_zpsa8961f05.jpg

Amp150313_zps0c9aa5ac.jpg

One of the plants before repot,
Amp250213_1_zpsb6e6c89c.jpg

Wow, I wish someday my amp will make basals... hasn't made none at all from the moment I got the plant several years ago.

hey tzestan, how long did it take for your amps to develop those basal carpets? i recently acquired an ampullaria and it's putting out basals but they seem to be so slow growing! they started maybe a month and a half ago and still look like this:

i realize it probably takes years to develop gorgeous basal carpets like yours have but i thought the existing pitchers would look a little more mature by now.

Back