What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thermoelectric Cooler

So you think getting something like a deep freeze and replacing the top with glass would be a better choice?
I've seen this type of setup used successfully on more than one occasion - of course, as with any cooling method, a (reliable) thermostat with the right range is required. I have yet to see a thermoelectric wine/beer cooler used successfully long-term as a grow chamber - I'd be happy to learn from someone who managed to overcome the obstacles though :)

Yeah I really like the beverage cooler idea but if there's problems with leaking causing it to malfunction then I'll probably try the deep freeze method. I'm not particularly handy but I really need to find a reliable automated cooling method.

Does anyone just move plants to the cooling chamber at night and keep them with the other plants during the day? I see some pretty intricate high elevation set-ups that are specifically for those plants but haven't seen anyone doing my method. Having spent my life with OCD I have learned not to dump wads of cash into an interest until I'm sure it's going to last a while. I have spend almost 60 years cycling between a number of hobbies but none have stayed with me consistently. If I'm still into it when the plants get too big for a wine cooler or aquarium I will then look into investing in a specialized HE habitat, probably the end of the hallway upstairs which would work great and would be out of the way. I do have plans for a glass block wall behind my shower that opens into a greenhouse but again I need to wait and see. My two story house is a testament to a life of hobbying and collecting, my kids will really clean up some day especially with the entire downstairs packed full of restored and ready to restore old Honda bikes.
Is anyone watching that Nepenthes edwardsiana on eBay, it's currently at $500 for a 3/4" seedling? Seems impracticle really since Wistuba or some other web store will eventually offer them again for way less than that...................is anyone pissed because I mentioned it? :-))

Does anyone just move plants to the cooling chamber at night and keep them with the other plants during the day?

During the winter I kept my tiny hamata in a ziplock bag. In the daytime it would go with the rest of the plants with the bag open. At night I'd open a basement window a tiny crack and leave the plant on the windowsill with the bag closed. I'm guessing it'd be 40-45 in that bag at night. It was a little tedious, but worth it for a hamata, and I saw a definite growth spurt as a result.

Back